Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

BigKev, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 trunk mats
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have been working on getting my 51 200 cleaned up. The painting is done and I was not happy with the fact that apparently the 200's didn't have a mat in the trunk. I've been told it was basically a cardboard type material. I found this guy who is a retailer for REM automotive - he had a Patrician replica mat made for me - it is a woven product on an asphaltic or tar backing. The fit is very good, and the price is reasonable. His email address is MuscleManiac Classic Car Parts <mw74cuda@netzero.com>. The price was just under $100 with shipping.

I know I'm over restoring the car - but it sure looks better than Pepboys mouse fur carpet.....

The "swoops" are from the camera - it is a checkerboard pattern.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.53 KB)
1679_51846d1cdcebc.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  (47.96 KB)
1679_51846d36848f7.jpg 640X428 px

jpg  (41.05 KB)
1679_51846d43ed6f3.jpg 640X428 px

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:07
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 trunk mats
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very nice. What did you do to the sides or is that just paint?

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Good to know that link David. Seems very well made and hard-wearing material. Do you know if other colours (like black) are also available?

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I should have sprayed the chopped fibers on the side of the trunk to be authentic.There is a discussion somewhere on the site discussing it.

But for the time being, I sprayed the sides with the "splatter" paint available at Lowes. My Lowes only has the gray/black/white paint available. It is also available as Zolotone, which has an infinite number of colors, but it has to be applied with a special spray gun.

As to the mat colors, I think this is the only color available. I asked for a gray and they didn't have it. One thing - the Patrician is 1" wider than a 200 or 300, so you have to cut the mat just behind the spare tire. By using a razor blade, you can make a nice neat cut and splice it together. It is very difficult to see where I spliced it.

The folks that make it only have a pattern for a Patrician, since it is the only model with a mat.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 12:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Nice job David. A good clean look. Btw how flexible is the final product?

Posted on: 2013/5/4 16:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The material is fairly stiff - just flexible enough to install, but it doesn't wad up under shifting material in the trunk. I have not glued it down, and probably won't. I'm very happy with it.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 18:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
David,

I also bought the floor mat from the same guy last year. Good product, unfortunately it doesn't have the correct hogshair/short brush surface as my original. Otherwise exact dimensions and very nice sharp cuts.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 19:34
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Nice job David and it brightens up the inside of the trunk nicely. I'm curious about your spare tire...what size is it? I'm getting ready to buy a P235/75-R15 which barely fits inside the well and your tire seems to have plenty of room.

Posted on: 2013/5/7 11:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved