Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 204

29tons, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

brakes easamatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Guys and Gals

My first experience with these brakes, removed master with booster today and noted the following.

inside of booster was filthy,

can you buy diaphragm anywhere? I do not see any holes but would like to get new one.

copper washer gaskets on banjo where brake lines connect where can I get new ones.

I also want to change wheel cylinders now after looking inside master, what model do you buy for a 1953 Caribbean.
I see for 1953 clipper, cavalier and patrician are they the same?

I am thinking that the hydraulic pump above the booster leaked some or spilled some fluid that found its way to the vent below on booster and got inside booster unit. is that possible?

just got this car and ...

Ken

Posted on: 2013/5/9 17:52
 Top  Print   

Re: brakes easamatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure which diaphragm you need but if it's inside the power piston then probably Kanter is the best option. There were some diaphragms included in various rebuild or modification kits he might have in stock.

It appears the brake cylinders were all the same across the chassis lines on regular 53 models, different on commercial chassis so the ones you listed should work. If you can't find locally, Kanter has new reproductions and should be able to supply what you need. Max probably can too.

The copper gaskets are a question. I'm going to be needing them also and will try Napa or one of the other parts stores. You might take yours and see if a parts store can match them. If you find some first, please advise details. FYI the Packard numbers are 302770 which is a copper annular gasket .510 ID x 13/16 OD. The other is 302496 and is another copper gasket .600ID x 13/16 OD.

I seriously doubt the pump leaked or spilled but more likely the seal around the piston hardened or the piston or casting has corroded and vacuum was able to pull fluid into the vacuum side. A very common happening.

The reservoir cover gasket has been identified as an issue on many units. Packard kept the flat cover which was originally used on the first slightly different model unit. Other mfgs went to a cover with a relieved area over the relief port. That port is a passage in the casting that ends between the hydraulic and vacuum seals. The gasket was designed for those relieved covers but with Packards flat cover, the relief port is blocked.

If your relief port goes all the way to the top lip of reservoir and is closed off by the gasket and lid then vacuum leaking past a bad seal has no choice but to try and pull fluid instead of air. Any fluid leakage under hydraulic pressure has no choice but to be forced into the vacuum section. Make sure the relief port is open and the small hole at the top of the reservoir casting is not blocked by the new gasket in the rebuild kit. If it is, you can reverse the gasket or cut the area so the port is not covered and can vent into reservoir.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 19:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
I think its called the reaction Diaphragm, its large and in the middle of the booster very large diameter.

I was going to try a local brake shop on the copper gaskets.
they have been around 40 yrs and might have something close.
Thank you very much for part numbers. I will return the favor to all.

Thank you for insight into the reservoir gasket and relief port suggestion.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 20:05
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I was able to get those copper washers at my local Oriely's. Then have a big assortment box behind the counter and they were able to match it up to my original. Do not reuse the old ones. The are soft, so they are designed to "crush" and deform to shape of the space between the two mating parts. Aways use a new one.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 11:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
also looked at 48-54 part number pdf did not see brake hose numbers for 53 Packard. did I miss this somehow?

THANKS BIG KEV, WILL SEND MORE CASH YOUR WAY!!!!

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
It's in there (Gr. 1.607, HOSE ASSY), but you may have misinterpreted the listing.

P/N 481240 shows additional descriptive text of "FRAME BRKT, REAR AXLE JUNCTION". This should be interpreted as the hose assembly that goes from the frame bracket to the rear axle junction.

Looks to be same P/N for all 51-54 (EXCEPT Henney models) and is same as used on all 55-56. Check the site's Parts X-ref and you'll find an aftermarket equivalent.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 16:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
thank you for your help BH

Posted on: 2013/5/10 18:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You can find those brake hoses at Napa. That's where I got mine.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 20:17
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Big Kev

went to NAPA they asked for part number.

Thanks

Ken

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
I was able to get those copper washers at my local Oriely's. Then have a big assortment box behind the counter and they were able to match it up to my original. Do not reuse the old ones. The are soft, so they are designed to "crush" and deform to shape of the space between the two mating parts. Aways use a new one.

I struck out at a couple of the local O'Reilly and Autozone stores. Both said they do not carry copper washers other than for oil pan plugs. None of the clerks seemed to be too interested in looking so they might actually carry them somewhere but not behind the counter. Seems odd they wouldn't have anything but then this is Fresno and those washers must not be an item used on a tractor.

Went to Napa and also struck out because they don't have assortments either so couldn't match. The guy looked in a catalog and gave me the numbers for the exact sizes but said they didn't carry them locally. Will be checking again at Napa because after finding out what Napa calls the things, the website came up with some with slightly different dimensions that should work. Says they are a local store item and can't be ordered online. Before posting the numbers will try and buy some to make sure they will work.

For me, the most aggravating aspect is even needing to find some. After spending $480 for Kanter's deluxe and complete brake kit with a new master cylinder you would think a couple of important washers needed to install it would be included.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 13:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved