Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 197

tsherry, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Bad OD Solenoid?
Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Thanks for the info! I didn't touch anything but the relay and solenoid before, so I'm sure its a matter of going through the rest of the system now. I'm driving it over to my buddy's house anyways, now he's interested to figure it out as well I'll post back with results! Thanks again!

Posted on: 2013/5/25 17:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
Cleaned all the contacts on the gov. and the lock out switch, and found a loose connection to the lockout switch, fixed that... Back in business!!

The kick down switch doesn't, and never did work.. when i fully depress the throttle it doesn't even touch the switch, about an inch between... I can see a definite wear mark where it did work at some time in the past, but is obviously way out of whack now. What's the procedure for this?

Posted on: 2013/5/26 2:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
When I wired up my R11 in my 38 coupe I didn't use a kickdown switch. I put a switch under the dash that breaks the wire from the governor. To "kickdown" I just flip the switch and touch the clutch and the car drops out of OD. I used to have a on-off-momentary switch. The momentary side just grounded out the coil but I found that hitting the clutch was enough to relieve the torque on the tranny to allow dropping out of OD

Posted on: 2013/5/26 6:43
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

fory wrote:
The kick down switch doesn't, and never did work.. when i fully depress the throttle it doesn't even touch the switch, about an inch between... I can see a definite wear mark where it did work at some time in the past, but is obviously way out of whack now. What's the procedure for this?

An inch is a fairly large amount to be off.

I don't have any decent photos of the linkage or kickdown switch setup but assuming nothing is bent, damaged or the wrong item there are only two adjustments.

The switch can move up and down a slight amount by working with the mounting nuts on the threaded portion of the switch. One interesting thing is Packard switches seem to be fairly limited while the R11 switches for other mfgs have a large threaded range for the up down. Packard relied on the remaining linkage being precisely adjusted. That linkage can be shortened a bit by adjusting the link on one of the rods so the pedal actuator will be closer to the switch. An inch is an awfully long amount for that adjustment though.

Perhaps someone with a manual trans 51-4 car can give some measurements of the adjustable rod length so you will have a starting point. A photo would help so you can make sure what you have is proper for the car. It's possible someone tried to make something for another carburetor or model car work at one point.

The adjustments are kind of a tradeoff. You have to be careful not to move one thing and limit something else at one end or the other. Basically you adjust so the throttle is closed all the way when the accelerator is released and when the throttle is all the way open, the little extra push to compress the spring in linkage will allow the switch to activate.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 10:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fory
See User information
I like the toggle idea a lot.. That makes a lot more sense to me than the throttle switch.. Then you could switch out of OD without having to floor the throttle, that would be nice for when passing or when in second gear in traffic. I find that a lot of times I'll slow for traffic, but not quite slow enough to click out of OD, and when you accelerate again the engine kind of bogs. Being able to toggle out of OD would be a huge benefit there.

Anyways, it does seem like a huge gap between the linkage and switch.. Maybe something got bent?

Posted on: 2013/5/26 15:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Possibly bent or perhaps the carb or throttle operating rod was changed. There are 4 different rods used depending on the carb model and how the car was equipped originally. If a wrong length rod is now being used that can mess up things.

Posted on: 2013/5/26 15:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The pull rod to the carb is adjustable for length. In addition, that fat part there in the middle is a spring loaded joint that is supposed to give when you tromp it for kickdown. That way you don't yank the arm off the side of the carb before the linkage hits the kickdown switch.

These joints are often frozen from disuse. Take the rod off and clamp it up in a vise. A little yanking, twisting and loose juice will get it going.

Posted on: 2013/5/27 6:15
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved