Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 189

HH56, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1942 Packard 160 VIN #
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings again I will be getting my New 1942 Packard 160 in a few days. I would like to know where the VIN # is located. The Packard will be sold with only a Bill of Sale as it is comming from Alamaba, which is a no title Sate for any vehicle pre 1974. To have an Ohio title made I must have the Packard inspected and the VIN must match the numbers on the bill of sale. I dont beleive the numbers on the fire wall are the same as the VIN but I could be worng. Any help could help save me a great deal of trouble as I am quite sure no one at the OHIO BMV has any Idea where the VIN is located on a 1942 Packard, and if they look at the #s on the fire wall that will hold up the whole production. Dale

Posted on: 2013/5/12 17:45
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 Packard 160 VIN #
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
technically there is no VIN on cars of this age. If the ID plate is still screwed to the left top of the cowl under the hood, there is a serial number on it. There is a stamped number on the right firewall, but that is a body number. The engine number can often be used to register the vehicle.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Why don't you choose which number you want to register the car with and have the seller use that one on the bill of sale?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/12 18:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
nice car, i have a 42 110 convert. in california and i believe the rest of the states the early cars were registered with the engine number, it is on the left side at the top of the block above the distributer it should be in a small white square painted over the packard green and start with a "E" if it is the correct engine. i also have a close friend who has a 42 160 formal sedan, so if i don't have the info on a 42 clarence does. have fun, dell

Posted on: 2013/5/12 18:37

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Great I shall see which # he uses on the Bill of Sale and go from there. The BMV in Ohio is like dealing with a former "mother in-law". Thanks. PS I would also like to have a "shop manual" for my 42 any Idea where I can dig one up. Are there any parts supplers that have catalogs for Packards I can call are order one. It sure would be nice to be able to order parts if I need some. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/12 20:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
the 42 has a separate parts book and a shop manual, i will look tomorrow and see who reprinted them. the packard club has a lot of reprinted items. dell ps i am sure one of packard info guys will tell you be for i get back to you

Posted on: 2013/5/12 22:16

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks for your help, I am new a this. You only go aroud once in life and it might as well be in a Packard!!

Posted on: 2013/5/12 22:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
The VIN is the VN stamped on the plate that is attached with 4 scews to the cowl of the car.Some states used the engine number but this could end up a problem if you ever needed a new engine.I would stick with the number that Packard meant for you to use.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 6:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
technically there is no VIN on cars of this age. If the ID plate is still screwed to the left top of the cowl under the hood, there is a serial number on it.

This comment back in Post #2 stirred my curiosity. Bkazmer is right about the lack of a VIN as long as we define VIN as the government-mandated and formated "vehicle identification number" which came into use long after Packard was dead and buried. But most Packards have a "VN" or vehicle number and I'd never seen it referred to as a "serial number" so I decided to go back and study a collection of patent plates to see how Packard numbered their cars and what they called the number. I suppose few here are interested in such trivia but here's what I found.

1903-04: Model_____ No. _____
1905: Model N No._____
1907 - 1916: No. ______
1917(*) - 1953: Vehicle Number_____

(*) commencing with the 3rd Series Twin Six

Posted on: 2013/5/13 11:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Owen got my point. Since Packard put the patent plate on with screws (it was removed to be stamped)it can be missing or from another vehicle (I would make sure it matches the body style at least). Since mandated VIN's did not exist,there are many instances each of vehicles being registered by builder ID number or by engine number. I agree that the engine number method would require some new paperwork if an engine were changed. I'd use the plate ID if you have the plate, but wouldn't flinch to use the engine number otherwise. Do make sure the bill of sale matches whichever you plan to use.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 14:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved