Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
72 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 69

Jimmyk, JackL, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: accelerator pedal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Howard, the accelerator pedal probably became bent due to pushing it down hard to start the car. Terrible idea to activate the starter, in my opinion.
(o{}o)

I concur. Remember back in the day how frustrating it could be at times when the engine wouldn't catch for whatever reason and you would wind up flooding the carb.

The 51 I "inherited" had an extra pushbutton installed under the dash so dad must have had a starting issue more than once to have spent money doing that. Know I used it a few times. Have been considering if and how to do something similar on this one.

Battery disconnect switch is another area of contemplation. Hate opening a hood just for that and really like the way the internal operating knob I made turned out on the 56. Not as many options on this one plus it's hard to judge space with the dash out.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 10:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I can only speak to my own experience, but I drove a 52 Mayfair which was in the family from new. I never experienced any problem with the starting system. The Carter switch worked flawlessly and I only abandoned it when I installed a four-barrel manifold and carb in 1959.
I attached those starter wires to the backup light switch for the auto trans shift lever and shifted my stick w/OD on the floor.
A Pa. state policeman giving my wife her driving test commented "I should pass you just for getting it started."

I would go with the MetroMoldedProducts gas pedal.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 12:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, et al --- I installed a push button starter switch on my 47 Custom Clipper to replace the one on the carburetor. The carburetor switch was working properly, but sometimes I do not want to start the engine with a fully open throttle. I mounted the new switch in an existing hole under the instrument panel to the right of the steering column. I was able to use the existing wires, without any cutting or splicing, by feeding them through a grommet in the cowl wall. I did not remove the carburetor switch. It can easily be changed back to original. Much better starting operation with the new push button switch.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/5/31 13:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Like JW, i too added a pushbutton under the dash tho' to the immediate left of the steering column of my '47 Super Clipper, where i also have the toggle for the electric fuel pump i use to prime the system after the car's been sitting.

I installed it for the same reasons JW did, tho' i always wind up using the accelerator pedal start switch which works fine, a silly marketing ploy Packard got from Buick and Olds--- perhaps more of the nonsense those GM execs East Grand brought in during 1933-34 to teach the Company how to build the One Twenty but stayed to run Packard into numbness by the late '40s.

The '51 200 i had long ago in my 20s always started readily, but then the 356 as in JW's, HH56's and some of the above posters' cars has a notoriously touchy choke.

My '40 120's automatic choke, like the automatic choke on my '51's 288, never gave the least impediment.

BTW and off subject, but it's comical that some new cars aimed at the happening kid market have

starter buttons on the dash.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 18:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

su8overdrive wrote:...The '51 200 i had long ago in my 20s always started readily, but then the 356 as in JW's, HH56's and some of the above posters' cars has a notoriously touchy choke...

No problem with the choke. Switch worked fine. Starting an engine hot, cold, or in between with a full open throttle is not the best procedure. I installed the push button switch for more control during different starting conditions.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/1 15:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved