Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 160

RKS, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

47 ign coil
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Today's question.

On the Clippers with the thru the firewall coils with armored cable and coil primary wire attached under the dash -- would someone go above and beyond by looking and tell me how much clearance space straight behind is available between the coil/cable end cup and anything mounted to the dash. I know it takes a bit of a contortionist to look but would sure appreciate it.

I'd like to know if the armored cable could be closer to the dash by 1/2 to 1" without running into something or being impossible to reattach. I've tried to judge myself but my dash is out and disassembled. It's hard to visualize open space.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 15:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 47 ign coil
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Hi Howard,
I don't see anything in the way. Nearest thing is probably the OD cable - maybe 3-4 inches and then curves up and away. Tried a picture with no luck.
All the best,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/6/2 0:54
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Mark, appreciate the effort. Having extra space gives me several options on this little project I've been working on. If it comes together I'll post photos when it's done.

Posted on: 2013/6/2 8:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have two styles of armored cable connection to the coil. One on right came out of my 47. Clipper parts book says all Clippers with Autolite used it. There's others mentioned for pre and postwar Delco but don't know what is different in appearance or construction.

Believe these in photo are both Autolite as the one on left appears to be identical to prewar Autolite version shown in that parts manual. Didn't see any ID or numbers to verify though.

Today's question is about the one on left. Is that style with the cup that slides over the coil only used on conventional body prewars with coil completely in engine cmpt or was it also used on any that had coil mounted thru firewall.

Attach file:

jpg  (67.87 KB)
209_51bb684603351.jpg 637X675 px

Posted on: 2013/6/14 14:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
My 47 Super clipper is like the one on the right. I replaced the coil with a generic coil ran a black wire to the armored cable-I donot trust NOS coils

Posted on: 2013/6/15 14:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's what I am thinking -- the one on left must have been only used on cars with the coil in engine cmpt.

My latest project was making a firewall coil mount that except for the second terminal, looks for all practical purposes like it has a stock coil mounted in the correct spot in the engine cmpt. I've made one for the armored cable type we use. The flat end just attaches & nothing is modified at all. That way if some future owner wants to spend $150-300 for a proper coil he can do so. Myself, I'm cheap so a $25 Napa coil will do nicely. I'm waiting on some electrical items now and once here will post a photo of the attempt.

I was just wondering whether any of the firewall mounted coils used that cup arrangement or if one would likely be shipped out by a vendor for that application.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 15:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Evidently there was a kit to mount a std coil on the firewall back when the 47's came out. I found a "kit" on ebay that clamps the coil basically at any point you want. I bought a coil from old time auto parts for ~12. If interested I will take a pic.

I suspected the old coil getting weak-Unless you look real close you cannot see the wire along side the coil going to the armored cable.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 19:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Also I left the "cup" behind the new coil

Posted on: 2013/6/15 19:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

packard1949 wrote:
Evidently there was a kit to mount a std coil on the firewall back when the 47's came out. I found a "kit" on ebay that clamps the coil basically at any point you want.

Thanks for the heads up on the ebay kit like yours that was available. I bought it and was received on Saturday.

By the time I found out about the kit, had almost completed reinventing the wheel with my overkill version of about the same thing. Went ahead and finished it & will decide which one to use later.

One thing different was I had made a provision for the armored cable which the kit doesn't have. Not sure what the recommended method of handling the armor and connection was using the kit but I kind of like having that attached securely. Anyway, here's what I wound up with.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.56 KB)
209_51c862629c1a6.jpg 1179X1041 px

Posted on: 2013/6/24 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
Howard looks good. I left the end cap with armored cable in the firewall-I used electrical tape to insure no grounds.I used a small black wire between the splits in the "kit"

Posted on: 2013/6/24 17:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved