Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Rear Defroster Accessory Wiring
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Is my understanding that based on the wiring description for the rear defroster accessory, that it operates off the same switch as the fresh air heater blower?

Just curious there cause sometimes I have turned on the blower just to circulate air without the heat on. Perhaps I just can wire it off of the floor heater switch instead. Or use the rear speaker switch! Lol....that would be like a variable speed control! hahaha

Posted on: 2013/6/5 15:58
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Defroster Accessory Wiring
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The shared heater switch was the recommended.

If you already have a rear heater & switch that would probably be the best option if you went shared. If the extra fan switch is used, to keep defroster separate another option would be to add a switch setup and duplicate the speaker/antenna look in an unused space over on the left. Last resort you could always do something with a switch below the dash.

Yesterday's radio has a wide & thin 1940 Heater/Defroster cover that might look neat centered under the grill but looks like it's only in Beige. If he had it in another color, that might be interesting if you could find a switch for it.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Wasn't there a "DEFROSTER" switch with bezel used on some of the years? 55/56 perhaps. Wonder if that could be used as an option. I could just install it where the speaker switch is now, as that isnt hooked up to anything anyway and probably wont be in the future.

Also I noticed that both the floor heater and defroster have the wiring running along the floor and then up and under the dash. I may take advantage of having the windshield and interior out and run the wiring for the defroster along the passenger roof line and down the A-pillar into the dash. Similar to the rear harness on the driverside. Also for the floor heater, I can run the wiring up the passenger side B-pillar and down the the A-pillar as well. This should keep everything neat and keep wiring from getting chaffed under my heavy feet.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

WC
See User information
On the '55 and '56 cars, the rear defroster (option) was operated by having the fan on and the control set to defrost. There was no separate switch for it. I don't know about other years.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:49
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hmmmm.....That's an interesting idea..... a micro switch installed on the heater lever at the defrost position and wired in conjunction with the heater switch being in the on positon would do the trick for sure. Things to ponder.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 16:54
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That microswitch is sounding like a very good and simple option worth serious consideration.

Don't believe there were any separate postwar labeled defroster switches that were rotary. All were push or pull and labels were directly on the various styled buttons. 55-6 had rotary switches but were labeled fan or rear fan. Those labels were oddly shaped and part of the heater bezel. They also have different size shafts and mounting. If the 55-6 Clipper knobs are the same style as yours they would work but mounting might need some massaging to work with the bezel.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 17:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I think the 55/56 switches use a wider shaft with a retainer tab if I remember right. The 51-54 use a thinner shaft and use a set screw. But I may have that incorrect. I just remember when i bought my antenna switch, it would not work with the 51-54 style knobs and bezel, so I had to exchange it for the 51-54 antenna switch.

Posted on: 2013/6/5 17:18
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved