Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (122 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Dash lighting???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Don't kill me guys!! Another question about my lighting for the dash... It's on but fairly dim. Is there a switch or adjustment for brightening or is this a voltage issue. I do have a regulator issue that will be fixed today can this be related?

Posted on: 2013/6/15 8:28
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Re: Dash lighting???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your car used what Packard marketing called Flite-Glo. No briteness adjustment for the dash lights -- just on or off. The numerals and hands were painted with luminescent paint. Bulbs were covered with an ultraviolet shield which emitted a very dim purplish light to excite the paint & I believe made the numerals glow a greenish color. Not that great when new from many accounts and most likely 60 years of dirt and paint degradation pretty much has done it in.

If you do a search on the forum there were some discussions about rejuvenating the system. A couple of links to some luminescent paint that could be obtained in small quantities and details of methods and results by some who made the attempt.

If you don't want to go to that extreme, I would wonder if there are enough bulbs and if they are mounted in such a way that removing the shields and going to a more conventional approach might be a way to go. Of course, the original method is novel and anything else would not be correct. Don't remember if anyone tried just ordinary bulbs.

EDIT: Here is one threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=100924#forumpost100924 and another is linked inside it.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.69 KB)
209_51bc6f3bac5d1.jpg 353X185 px

Posted on: 2013/6/15 8:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Dash lighting???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Bulbs dim as they age so maybe you need new ones.

Sadly the quality of new bulbs is very poor, but should be alright for the Packard

Posted on: 2013/6/15 9:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved