Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 204

Jimmyk, BigKev, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 BDN/TPN
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D has posted much on his research, compilation, analysis, evaluation, and publication on the stamped Body Dash Numbers and/or Theft Proof Numbers on the engine side of the cowl walls. In an earlier discussion there were posts about the BDN/TPN for the 1940 Packards. It seems Packard did not stamp all of the 1940 production cowls with a number.

At O_D's suggestion, I looked through my copy of Jim Hollingsworth's book on the 1940 Packards (Packard 1940 a Pivotal Year) hoping to find an answer to this one year anomaly. Jim has but one mention of the BDN/TPN in Chapter 4, 1940 Packard Production by Model and Body Type, on Page 26 in a caption showing a sedan body being painted with the number clearly visible on the upper left-hand side of the cowl. In the caption he says: "...The Body Dash Number(here 502844) is embossed between the 2 triangles on the upper right side of the dash, just below the cowl. Please refer to page on "Packard Identifying Numbers" in the Appendix."

There is no page in the Appendix, that I could find that discusses the identifying numbers. However, my book is from the 2nd printing and may differ from what was included in the initial version.

I noted that Jim said the stamped number is on the right hand side, but the photo clearly shows it to be on the left hand side. The photo does not look to be reversed as I can read the number. The number would be on the right hand side of the photo, but the left hand side of the Packard.

Maybe someone else will find the answer to why Packard started, stopped, and restarted using BDN/TPN in the 1940 models.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/15 17:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 BDN/TPN
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks JW for keeping this subject alive.

My observations:

Some 1940 cars have the number enclosed by brackets.
Some 1940 cars have the brackets but no # between them.
Some 1940 cars don't even have the brackets.
Based on VNs, the numbering resumed about mid-year.
The numbers or just brackets when present are left of center.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 17:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved