Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 143

Jeff Williams, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1938 Paoli Packard 12 PHOTOS
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well like I said before I have a friend who runs a body shop and loves working on old cars-he could probably strip repair what metalwork needs to be done-although like I said the body and frame are SOLID with very little rust for about 10-15K. I would certainly keep the original body, the main concern for me would be hearing the engine run and having someone accurately assess the condition of the engine. The big thing for me would be the 12's condition; obviously if the engine needs a toal rebuild that would be a deal breaker for me. On the plus side when I pulled the dipstick on the engine the oil was remarkably clean for a car that is older than my father (he was born in 1939).

Posted on: 2013/6/25 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
When buying a car, whether you hear the engine run or not, assume the engine will need to be rebuilt in the near future and pay accordingly. The price on this car (assuming it needs an engine overhaul), as Tim noted, should be under $10k.

If you seek too strongly to hear the engine run, and out of some sort of miracle they DO get it running and it sounds really nice... You've just shot yourself in the foot, as the asking price will go WAY up. On the other hand, if they don't know what they're doing, you run the risk of them damaging extremely rare parts.

In my opinion, whether it sounds good when its running or not, it's not worth $10k. If they get it running smoothly, they'll be asking more than that.

Either way, you're going to be looking at an engine rebuild. As the man in the car ad used to say, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

Posted on: 2013/6/25 18:45
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
As I said initially quoting a CCCA oldtimer $10 grand "if he's nice" (that's the buyer) and is willing to deliver it.

Modifying it is probably a loser because what good is the VIN Number?

Incidentally, what is on the odometer? If the gas pedal is worn it's high mileage.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 21:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
The odometer reads 67K and im inclined to believe it is original; due to how good the engine looked-the engine on that car on Craigs list in Tennesee looked like a mass of rust by comparison. and Since I live in Philly a 45 minute ride from Paoli and have AAA I could always have them flatbed it to my home. I would love to own a 12 the only thing that makes me apprehensive is WHY was the car placed in storage so many years ago-and some of the posts about how much is involved in getting one of these on the road has given me pause.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The bottom end on the Twelve will go over 100,000 miles if cared for and driven moderately. Dick Dewey's 32's did just that and they had babbit bearings.

But it may be due for a valve grind. Getting those cylinder heads off is a project as previously noted. There are a few problem areas on the twelve that are easily fixed but make the motor sound like it is going to explode. That will get them off the road in a hurry.

It he get's it started and the oil pressure is good, you are half way home. If it was running hot when garaged that is another problem because the 38's will crack.

Every old car has risks. Heck I worry about my modern car beiing too old to use everyday.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
Well I appreciate all the posts that this topic has generated. I have certainly been given a lot to think about before I plunk down money for this car.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 13:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
One more question by 1938 did the 12's still have babitt bearings or the more modern insert bearings? just would like to know.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:35
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
There aren't many of these around, you may not get another shot at one, take a chance, make a reasonable offer--

Posted on: 2013/6/27 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Yes, a car is more than a financial asset or a kind of compact mass that surrounds its fuel pump. At least to me. Do you like this Packard?

Attach file:

jpg  (32.54 KB)
757_51cc6b9fc4387.jpg 500X342 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 11:03
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
buy it., and worse case scenario you sell the engine for parts if its to expensive to fix and put another (packard) engine in it. Kinda resto rod it. I kinda hate to tell you that but you can use that as a backup plan if the engine turns out to be bad.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 11:23
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved