Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

clutch pivot, engine side.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does anyone have a photo or could describe what the engine side clutch arm mount looks like. This one that goes where the arrows are pointing turned up missing so I will need to make one.

Book is not much help but believe it to be nothing more than a simple shaft threaded into the engine & supporting a roller bearing -- similar to the frame mounted side. Questions are: Is there a shoulder on the shaft next to the engine and is the bearing held on by the same screw/washer arrangement as the frame side. Are there large diameter rubber bushings on either side of the clutch arm on engine side like those on the frame mount.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.91 KB)
209_51cca1877315c.jpg 1195X481 px

Posted on: 2013/6/27 15:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: clutch pivot, engine side.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
howard; you are right, shaft with large hut that is part of shaft, two felt washers and large washer on end with 1/4 bolt to hold washer on, has same bearing as other end of arm. dell

Posted on: 2013/6/27 20:24

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Made the engine side pivot mechanism so that is out of the way. Duplicated what I think was described and what I thought it should be. McMaster had a perfect size roller bearing to finish it off so I believe all is well there.

Next question is regarding springs. Only see two in the 47 parts book illustration & those are easy to figure. Looking at the overall illustration of what looks to be a prewar engine & power cylinder with Electromatic, I wonder if there should be a third spring in 47 between the bottom of clutch pedal and the curved arm under the helper spring.

Not 100% sure I have that linkage bolt with the spring mount groove in the right place but if so, am thinking I see where a spring could go. Since this thing was taken apart and thrown in boxes the spring mount pivot screw being in the correct spot is not a given.

Before final tightening and locking things down with cotter keys, would appreciate confirmation if there is a spring used in 47 and if it goes between the red arrows.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.02 KB)
209_51d6f8e18a901.jpg 554X654 px

jpg  (25.62 KB)
209_51d6f8ee115d1.jpg 372X273 px

jpg  (89.05 KB)
209_51d6f93bb6436.jpg 1280X686 px

Posted on: 2013/7/5 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some progress. Put more bolt on items on the engine and installed all the clutch springs. The only one I had that would fit the questionable space is iffy so still not convinced on that one.

On to something more important. I think I am missing item 3.131 which is called a relay lever adjusting nut seat. Have looked in boxes for something that might possibly be the item but so far no luck finding anything obvious.

Does any one know what should be there or could provide a description of approximate size, shape and thickness so I know what to look for or maybe make something. Without it the clutch adjustment is all the way out and could still use more so between that fact and the illustration I'm guessing it is fairly thick.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.48 KB)
209_51d9c6f54b454.jpg 332X315 px

Posted on: 2013/7/7 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
howard; on vacation at this time and can't look at my 48 custom, i believe the part u are missing is shaped like the half round ball on chevy rocker arm- flat side to the adj. nut and 1/2 round side to clutch arm, also has cotter key in hole in end of shaft. dell

Posted on: 2013/7/7 23:20

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I made something that I think will work. Fitted over a test rod for the photo it seats in the nut and has a thin shoulder to go in the lever. That shoulder may be a problem and will probably wear off but since the rod is present, won't go anywhere. Doesn't look much like the parts manual photo and not sure of the thickness needed, but this gives me 5/8" of adjustment. It brings the nuts nearer the start or available thread length of rod which should be more than enough. Unless someone sees an issue will go ahead and install it.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.48 KB)
209_51df3afa81a8d.jpg 640X482 px

jpg  (14.39 KB)
209_51df3b0389d0a.jpg 640X280 px

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Howard,

You are a clever guy.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/7/11 18:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved