Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 163

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

chassis welds
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I finally got around to putting on the idler arm bracket that attaches to the frame of my 51 200. The work took much longer than I had hoped (SOP) and while laying on my back under the car, I noted that the frame rails on both side, adjacent to the front coil springs, where the frame "V's", had small hairline cracks in the welds. I'll go by my favorite muffler shop and have them rewelded - a small job that will hopefully prevent major problems down the line. It might be worth a look on any 51-54 model. When I get them welded, I'll add some photos.

Posted on: 2013/6/27 21:15
 Top  Print   

Re: chassis welds
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks David. The next time I'm under my '51 I'll check that out too! Pictures would be great. Think I look under the '55 as well as I'm doing an oil change tomorrow.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 2:53
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Likewise - I'll check mine before engine goes in. Photos would be great thanks.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 8:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
some photos - The 60 one is general one of the right hand side front A frame around the coil spring, and then a close up. The weld looks like it has about a 1/4" to 3/8" long crack in it. Enough to send the car to my favorite welding shop. I'll get after the area with a wire brush when it cools off a bit - 90 degrees outside at the moment.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.56 KB)
1679_51cf6a4119c8b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.45 KB)
1679_51cf6a753669b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/6/29 18:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Wish I was around you I would have welded it right up for you. Maybe not perfect but very functional sure. I'm no pro.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 21:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks Hank - appreciate the offer. Maybe one of this days I'll get back to the DFW area with one or other of the Packards. My 39 sold new from the Dallas dealer. The muffler shop I go to will weld the cracks up for about $20 or so. I could do it myself, but I hate welding lying on my back in the driveway!

Posted on: 2013/6/30 19:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved