Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 95

Ken_P, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Question on brakes for 56 clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

IshiaMightyMidget
See User information
Hello everyone I'm new to the site I was at the Rochester park Thursday in my Persian blue packard clipper I'm losing brake Flulid I know it's in the line but would want to convert the front to disc anyone know where I could find parts for this or what I should do

Posted on: 2013/6/28 10:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Question on brakes for 56 clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Welcome to the best place for Packard owners and enthusiasts to talk shop!

Since, I'm fine with the stock set-up, I have no experience to offer WRT to converting to front disc, but a site search, using the keywords "disc brake conversion", turns up many posts - and many with mixed results:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/search.php?query=disc+brake+conversion&mid=8&action=showall&andor=AND

My only advice to you is "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". That is, find out where the leaks is and why, first, so you don't end up wasting a lot of time and money.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
to convert the front to disc anyone know where I could find parts for this...

I've read that both Kanter and Wilwood make front disc brake conversions for most Packards. I've also read that these are NOT really bolt on kits.

It's not what I did, but at that time there were no commercial kits so I had to have mine engineered.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/28 11:31
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

IshiaMightyMidget
See User information
Thanks for the input I am def going to have a peek at all the lines before I decide to go further is there anything I should know when replacing the lines on a packard ?

Posted on: 2013/6/28 12:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

IshiaMightyMidget
See User information
Do you guys know who would carry a brake booster for the car

Posted on: 2013/6/28 13:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

IshiaMightyMidget wrote:
Do you guys know who would carry a brake booster for the car

If you mean the original type unit, Max Merritt, Kanter and other vendors sell rebuilt Bendix Treadlevac units which is what Packard called Easamatic.

If you are talking modern, there is no remove one & bolt in another unit for Packards because of the location. There are several threads where various options have been discussed if you want to do a search of the forum using BTV as the search term. Since there are so many threads and comments span them all, you will have to wade thru several to find all the details.

Probably the easiest and cheapest is to use the universal 7" single or dual diaphragm Bendix type sold by MPBhttp://www.mpbrakes.com/ or ABShttp://www.abspowerbrake.com/ with a dual master as Craig has detailed on his Panther site.http://www.1956packardpanther.com/Panther/powerbrakes.html

In short, the downside to any modern unit is you will have to modify the brake pedal or the mounting location to get the proper ratio. None of the modern units will work with the original Packard 1:1 ratio in the original location -- except the 12v only Electro-Boost unit from ABS. That is also by far the most expensive option.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

IshiaMightyMidget
See User information
Thanks and Craig I saw you experienced btv failure on you 55 well I also did but mine all of a sudden lost fluid do you have a email I can direct talk with ya ?

Posted on: 2013/6/28 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
Thanks and Craig I saw you experienced btv failure on you 55 well I also did but mine all of a sudden lost fluid do you have a email I can direct talk with ya ?

Sure, just PM me and I'll respond with my phone #.

BTW, Howard (HH56) knows what he's talking about, and not just on brakes.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/28 15:26
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

IshiaMightyMidget
See User information
How do I pm on here

Posted on: 2013/6/28 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
While you are logged in click on Craigs name in the post above yours. His profile information will open and at the bottom of the form is a PM button. Just click on that and write your subject and message in the PM page that opens. When he answers you will see a red numeral next to the inbox in the user menu at the top left of the page notifying you of a response.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 15:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved