Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 179

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Look Ma, no oil filter!
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
In spite of having almost every option in the book, including PS, PB, OD, vanity mirrors, trunk light etc. etc., my '54 Clipper does NOT have the "optional" oil filter.

I searched the forums and the FAQ's sectio for information regarding whether to use detergent or non-detergent oil, but I've just come up with preferred weight charts.

I found that I could not open Big Kev's document "ZDDP and Motor Oil Article" (on "Packard Literature and Manuals) for some reason. It sounded like that might have some excellent info.

I've been using straight 30 weight Havoline HD, which is a detergent oil that meets about every spec in the book, including diesel. My question is, am I stirring up a mess using a detergent oil?

I'd like to put a filter on the car, but that's probably a long shot. For now, I'm just changing it often, and counting on the "floating screen" to help me out.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 21:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Look Ma, no oil filter!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Filter or not, I certainly see no issues with the oil you are using as long as you change it regularly, at least once a year even if mileage is less than 1000, though I would hope that at some point recently you dropped the oil pan and cleaned it and the pump intake screen. I use essentially the same oil as you (Formula Shell SAE 30W detergent) in my 34 Eight and have for years and am fully satisfied with it.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bobby
See User information
Well, I have a '54 with the filter, and although it's probably better than nothing, based on the one teeny hole for the dirty oil to pass thru the filter, it doesn't look to be all too efficient. Unlike today's high pressure full flow filters, where the dirty oil is continuously passed thru the filter, the Packard is a by pass system that only lets a very small, single stream of oil pass thru one spot in the filter and trickle thru it to be collected at the base of the housing. Why they'd do this is beyond me.

I agree that you should drop the pan and clean the collected gunk out, and then use a high detergent oil...I use Rotella T 15w-40. Unless you live where the temperature is constant, a multi weight gives better protection.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 9:21
1954 black Patrician, unrestored, mostly original, minty!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why they'd do this is beyond me.

The last Packards with full flow filters were the 1939 Seniors. Thereafter, bypass filters were pretty much the standard of the era for some time, across many makes of cars and engine types. Although a smaller stream of oil reaches the filter, I've heard estimates of about 10% of the flow, the particle retention properties of the bypass filter cartridges is said to be greater than the full flow filters so there is a trade-off. And given that even engines with no filter whatsoever could have very long lives with reasonable care would support that it's no big deal on way or the other.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 10:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thank you all for the replies. I believe I will "stay calm and carry on" regarding this fine running engine, and the oil I'm using.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 19:22
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved