Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering center pin
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
For my 1939 110 4dr, I want to install a new steering center pin. I have the motor up and the dampener off but cannot get the pin loose, how is this supposed to be done?

Posted on: 2013/7/12 21:47
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering center pin
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jake Powel
See User information
I had my center pin replaced by a frame shop last fall. This was on a 1937 115C (6 cyl). The shop used a torch to cut the rivets fastening the plate on the underside. Then they were able to access the steering and replace the pin without raising the engine. They replaced the fasteners with stainless steel bolts. If you would like a photo of the result, contact me at jake_powel@comcast.net

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I helped a friend replace one a while back, I don't recall the exact details but it was quick and easy and certainly did not entail cutting of any rivets or removal of the plate. I do recall putting a small tack-weld on one end of the pin to hold it temporarily in place while the rest was diassembled. We did not remove the radiator or damper and did not raise the engine.

I also was at a local shop recently that changed a center link pin of a 38 Super with the same (similar) suspension. Again, it was so straight-forward and done so quickly I didn't take note of any details.

As servicing the center link pin is relatively common, I'm betting someone will come along with specifics. If you have the option, replace the assembly with one that uses a greaseable bearing. Aftermarket service parts from MOOG and TRW and the like with greaseable bearing were very common in the day and no doubt are still to be found.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:57
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I had a couple of hours today so I decided to get this steering apart. My first effort went about as I figured it would, I took a 4 foot extension on to my breaker bar and tried to turn the center bolt from the bottom side of the car. With some great effort I managed to twist the head of the bolt off so then I was seriously committed to the project. The next step was to take my disc grinder and cut off the top threaded section level with the frame, it seems that there was no grease in the steering link for maybe the last 74 years and the bolt was corroded to the steering arm very firmly. Next I used a 1/2" drill and drilled through the remains of the center bolt to just below the frame surface on both the top and bottom sides. After that I could use a long drift from the front of the frame and drove the steering arm out of the frame opening on the back side. There was a ton of a thick greasy/oil/dirt coating all of this and the frame so getting it all clean will be very satisfying, I have also pulled the fenders, grill, and radiator support so that I can clean and paint the front end, fresh motor paint and a firewall repaint should be done in the next week or so. I have all of the front suspension apart right now being sand blasted and getting ready for Powder coating, then I'll install all new King pins, bushings, tie rods ends etc. and hope that the car drives as good as new.

Attach file:

jpg  (12.71 KB)
11516_51e2076eda294.jpg 115X98 px

jpg  (16.51 KB)
11516_51e20783c4a68.jpg 194X259 px

jpg  (16.88 KB)
11516_51e2079550193.jpg 194X259 px

jpg  (18.60 KB)
11516_51e207a84edd5.jpg 194X259 px

jpg  (19.54 KB)
11516_51e207bd1d41b.jpg 194X259 px

Posted on: 2013/7/13 21:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The center link is pretty notorious for developing wear in higher mileage cars and I'm glad you're attending to it. After you finish the balance of the front end work and get a good alignment, I'm betting you'll be thrilled with how well car handles.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 22:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved