Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wheel cylinder rebuild or buy new???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Seeking opinion on the issue of having wheel cylinders rebuilt or buy new ones. Which way to go???

My 1949 Packard is wanting something to stop it when it wants to stop!!!

Secondly, I know there have been discussions of auto stores for over the counter items for brakes, but is there one or two discussions of specifically what to order over the counter???

Thanking you in advance for opinions and information.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2013/7/15 11:01
 Top  Print   

Re: Wheel cylinder rebuild or buy new???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I was (a lot) younger, no one ever bought new wheel cylinders unless the bores well really severely oversize, bell-shaped or deeply pitted in critical areas. But today new wheel cylinders are so readily available (for most models) and so inexpensive it seems wheel cylinder (and master cylinder too for that matter) rebuilding are for the most part either lost skills or just not practical. There are exceptions to the "easily available" new wheel cylinders, for example those like the 1939 Twelve, so these must be rebuilt and perhaps sleeved, depending on wear.

If the wheel cylinder in question is suitable for rebuilding and you have the tools and parts and know the process and cautions, a rebuilt wheel cylinder will give long service, approximating that of a new cylinder, for considerably less cost. Many folks find it convenient to buy the "hardware" kits of springs and retainers though I usually use the existing hardware if it appears serviceable. I don't know the situation in Mexico but if your local laws and shops permit getting your shoes relined with molded asbestos lining (either bonded or riveted) you'll be ahead of the game in brake performance.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
I would replace. It's a lot easier. I have the 49 Deluxe 8. The front wheel cylinders are Wagner number WC14493 for the front left and the right is WC14494. I also have the rear numbers if you need them.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 13:09
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Under Main Menu to your left is Packard Parts X-ref which is a listing of interchanges for parts. Don't know what is there for 49s, but it has been quite helpful for mine....

Posted on: 2013/7/15 13:29
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
DeluxCanuck,

Please send other information regarding the rear cylinders.

I will check Packard Parts X-Ref as well.

If I remember correctly there was an issue with the brake line hoses to the wheel cylinders???

It is my plan to buy pre-bent metal tubes leading to the rubber hoses that attach to the wheel cylinders.

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate all of the information I can gather.

P. S. My Mexican adventure of 7 years has come to an end due to the ill health of a family member. I am now located near Houston, Texas in a "slurb" town. Living in Central Mexico was a late in life experience well worth it, but moving back before the doctors prescribed a visit to the Scooter Store is paying positive dividends in many ways.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2013/7/16 14:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
I bought all my wheel cylinders and hoses for my '48 at NAPA for next to nothing. If you look at my project blog, you should find the part numbers.

The only issues I had were some discrepancies in the fitting sizes, which I resolved with some brass adapters. I think it's all there in my blog, along with photos. If not, PM me.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 14:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Wagner numbers for the rear are WC78974 & WC78975. They are also listed in the cross reference page here, I think showing the NAPA number. I got mine through CARQUEST. Found that their prices here north of the 49th were a little better.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 20:08
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved