Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 159

Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 35/6 Phaeton TOP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Barry,

I know some French, how to French a bone, and how to French kiss, but what the heck is a Frenched convertible top/window?

A French seam has triple stitching, but does that have anything to do with what you're referring to?

You mention having 2 photos, one with, one without. Could you take a photo of them and post it?

I'd like to learn about this, because I'm heading to Pebble Beach next month and having an insider detail like that could be a great addition to my Phrase-droppers Handbook. "The 734 may win, but to be really correct, the rear window should be Frenched." Like that.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
J - cant tell u who came up with the term in Body Work or Uph. but it means to HIDE or ELIMINATE the Surround. If u have any contact with custom cars of the 50s u might have heard FRENCHING THE HEADLIGHTS or TAILLIGHTS which means eliminating the Bezel (sheet metal to glass). In this case of the rear window it means hiding the Frame via wrapping the top material around the frame. As far as i can piece it together production open PACKARDs started doing it in '32 thru '34; TWELVES got it on the inside as well using another panel. U see a few other manufactures doing it also as well as Custom Bodies. DIETRICH like to do it on his stuff. Up until a few weeks ago i never thought about '35 up Ph. With the one photo of a 35 conv sed. i figured they got FRENCHED and a photo of a 35 Conv Coupe i figured they did NOT. After taking a good look at the photo i have of the 35 CS im thinking its a Proto so now im having second thoughts about production CS getting FRENCHED.

Just helped an Uph. with info on a 734 so pretty sure they all had exposed window frames.

See u at PEBBLE. Taking a '39 FORMAL.

Give me a yell if any questions - BARRY 801 971 1934

Posted on: 2013/7/25 8:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
You're right. I found a couple of pictures appearing to have the concealed frame. They are Dietrich styled convertibles from 1932.

So is the frame you have plated or not?

Posted on: 2013/7/25 10:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved