Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spare tire mount
Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Will someone post a photo of how the spare tire is mounted in the trunk on a 54 Clipper. I am having a brain block on how this was done for most of the cars in the 50's.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 13:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Spare tire mount
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Am I missing something? All 51-56 except Henneys pretty much the same, a bit hard to comprehend what you're unsure about; the wheel and tire just drops into the tire well. Lean it back to the right against the stop and secure it with the threaded rod and wingnut thru a lug hole. Picture of my 56 Carib trunk enclosed which is the same arrangement.

PS - the white steel strut behind the spare top the fender may be a convertible-only feature, not sure.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.35 KB)
177_51fab842652b3.jpg 947X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if this will help. From the 54 fact book. It looks to be very much like O_D's car.

Is there something specific you are looking for.

Attach file:

jpg  (63.35 KB)
209_51fab94c31168.jpg 777X527 px

Posted on: 2013/8/1 14:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
It appears I am missing one part. The part with the threaded rod that goes thru the rim to secure the tire. Looking through my spare parts to see if I missed it. Now I can remember how many of the spare tires were fastened. Thanks for the help. I hope the part is in my stash, if now I may be looking for it shortly here on the Packard site.

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Found the mounting, it was in the misc. parts tub. Was this spot welded to the trunk deck from the factory? I see no mounting holes on the angle bracket. I will be drilling a mounting hole in the angle bracket and use a self tapping screw to secure it, if there are no other means. The entire trunk has been done with POR-15 so I cannot see any of the original holes or welds.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
Now I have a secure spare tire in the trunk, the photos and comments helped a lot. Thanks

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob
See User information
Where does the jack handle and jack store at, does it have a bag?

Posted on: 2013/8/2 16:45
1953 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you go back and look at the picture I posted in this thread of the spare tire mounted in my 56 Carib trunk, you'll see the jack in it's cardboard box stored in the rear of the trunk over the differential hump. The rope tying the box closed is not stock. Your 51 should be the same according to Shaub & Reedy's book on Packard jacks. The cardboard box has been in repro on and off for a while, probably someone still offers it.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 17:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here is a photo of the trunk for a 200 model as pictured in the 1951 Salesman's Information section of the shop manual. The senior lines had a rubberized mat as compared to the cardboard for the 200.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.79 KB)
1679_51fc416d251fd.jpg 640X428 px

Posted on: 2013/8/2 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
After a couple of weeks my memory kicked in some and I seem to remember some cars that the jack and tire iron went behind the spare tire and the base for the bumper jack went over the mounting bolt with a wing nut to secure the package. Did Packard use this system and was it Chevy that used that set up?
Also today I had the car on the rack for a lube job, brake adjustment, transmission fluid check, exhaust system check, front end check out and a good once over.
I need to think about getting a couple of the body mounts fixed, other than that the car looks good underneath.
Next item will be shocks next year and the completion of a headliner. The Clipper will be officially done as a driver and other improvements will come as time allows.

Posted on: 2013/8/20 16:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved