Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Interchangeability question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello all. I have a line on a 51/52. Don't know which one yet. I do know it's a 327/auto. My question: are there any parts that are interchangeable with my 49, 288/ std. Primarily the rear axle, but would be interested in the other stuff. Owen...I hope to be able to get you the numbers off of the car. Thank to all that post.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 11:48
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Interchangeability question
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Mark, I do know that some of the things are interchangeable like starters, carbs manifolds etc. I think the rear ends will swap out - I have a spare 50 rear end out of an OD car - I'll look at the rear end of my 51 with OD and see if any of the numbers match. I got my Hollander interchange manual out, but it is the 1950 version. Someone may have a later version to check.

One thing I know for certain - the water pump is different.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 19:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Also drums, backing plates, pumpkin, axle shafts, but not the axle housing as the spring perches are different. Steering wheel, horn ring, shift lever, and may minor electrical doodads.

An Ultramatic equipped contour car is not ideal as a parts car for a stick shift tubbie so I'd only do it if its cheap. You don't get any switchgear, sheet metal, linkages or trim.

Posted on: 2013/8/3 20:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Main concern would be the rear axle. If the shafts fit, that could be a good thing, as I am having an issue with the rear pass. side. Taper contact is only about 2/3rds and the drum is going past the end of the shaft. Have tried another drum, but the contact area ends up being the first 1/3 of the shaft. This drum was loose when I got the car and figure that the large end of the taper on both shaft and drum are worn. Will have to see the car. From what I've been told it's a bit of a field car, so I suspect the frame may be done. Thanks gentlemen!

Posted on: 2013/8/4 16:16
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved