Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 156

Scott, Packard Don, todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 Deluxe 288 Oil Filter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Is it correct to NOT have an oil filter canister? One of the site pix shows it on the six over the generator but none on the eight(?). I'm not sure if mine is missing or it's a delete option.
There's a two stage pump on the fuel (?original?) and one side is not connected to anything. I suspect someone put this on from something else, because they ran fuel hose and in-line fuel filter but I haven't really had time to explore this system.
I didn't find an assembled view of the 288 motor yet, if someone can point me.
ps: motor parts list shows 4 head water outlet part numbers but one gasket number so it's luck of the draw what you got if your's not listed

Posted on: 2013/8/13 17:31
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 Deluxe 288 Oil Filter?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Oil filters were an option on most of the smaller engines. They were usually on the 356 engine but not necessarily any of the others -- although if the engine was one which could be equipped with optional hydraulic lifters then frequently the filter was also ordered.

The fuel pump has two sections -- the lower for fuel and the upper as an additional source of vacuum for the wiper motor. It was plumbed in series with the vacuum from the intake manifold. Manifold was the primary source for the wipers and generally the pump was just flow thru. If load conditions resulted in insufficient vacuum from the engine, the valving in the aux pump allowed it to take over -- at less capacity -- so wipers didn't totally stop.

All the engines look very much the same as far as options or layout. Look in the parts manual starting around plate 84 and you can get a fairly good idea how the vacuum was sourced. The fuel pumps were slightly different but essentially the same plumbing. The tube from the intake manifold to the pump is shown but the continuation on to the wiper motor is not. It generally was a straight tube which ran just below the valve covers along the side of the engine. It terminated with a bend and another short straight section upward toward the wiper motor. At that point a rubber hose finished the run to the motor. If there were other 22-23 series options needing vacuum, a tee was usually in that length of hose.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 17:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have a spare 50 288 engine in the garage. It has the optional oil filter - check the Packard Model Info and look for the options manual. It should show one.

The one on my engine has fabric covered rubber lines from the block to the filter. The one on my 51 200 has the same setup, only with copper lines. I suspect that the copper lines were a replacement for the original rubber lines. You could probably go to a hydraulic service shop and have some new ones made.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 20:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is also a drawing of the filter installation on an eight and super 8 in service counselor Vol 22 #14 of Dec 1, 1948. It's available in the literature section.

In that illustration they show the filter in series with the feed to the lifter gallery. That is OK for engines with solid lifters but there were several bulletins relating to low oil pressure supply to the hydraulic lifters due to the filter. The symptom was noisy lifters and was primarily on the 356 since that engine was the main one with hydraulic lifters. There were some ongoing revisions to filter plumbing to help the lifter supply. I would think the same principle might apply to an engine that also has the optional hydraulic lifters.

Posted on: 2013/8/13 20:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Thanks guys. This's like doing a 1000+ piece puzzle of a fuzzy picture, you're never sure about some pieces. Once you've done it/seen it, it's easier.
I thought I crossed somewhere that said oil filter was an "option", which sounds outrageous, but the specs list this as solid lifter which fits no filter. But @ 10 cents a quart, who needed one vs frequent changes.
I'll rebuild the pump and see why vacuums not in use as part of fuel system check out. The vac tube that goes into the head, appears to be broken/rotted off the stub but as you say, may have been connected via hose, but there's not much stub surface and two different OD sizes making a good vac hose connect improbable. I was going to try to take out the stub and/or rebraze or make a new end. I dont know why I couldn't tap for a tube fitting? But that's another day.
As someone suggested, i.e. muffler shop, I've just about made repairs to the water outlet via exhaust bell reducers welded to my original base. A 2 1/2 to 2 then 2 to 1 3/4 works nice and give the rite height. Avail at most auto parts stores. Got a few leaks to remove yet. That should get me through start-up. It's one thing to strongly stick thin metal together and another to make it pore free. I think my MIG welder is OK after a new regulator. Trouble shoot the TIG next. Waiting on the air compressor motor, so it's a slow slog.
That air cleaner decal I mentioned is correct and looks nice.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 9:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm all confused. That broken tube I was thinking about was on the exhaust manifold. Need a break.

Posted on: 2013/8/14 15:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved