Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
193 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 191

kevinpackard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater hose connections
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
As I'm seemingly won't get hot water through my heater after replacing the heater valve, I wonder if there's a right and a wrong way to connect the water hoses to the valve?
Thanks.

Tom

Posted on: 2013/8/15 8:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater hose connections
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe there is a right or wrong way as far as preventing flow -- unless there is a problem in the valve -- but there is a right way to prevent intermittent noise. Packard issued a bulletin on that problem when they first started using the valve on the 23rd series.

The input side from the block is the small curved off to the side tube. The exit to the heater is the straight out tube. That convention carried thru and is correct for 56. Plumbing is shown in plate 29E in parts manual and in Fig 2 of the heater install instructions in accessories section of SM.

Is the valve functioning or when you move the lever can you see the mechanism moving? When the cable has the lever pulled all the way toward the screw clip and cable mounting bracket, the mechanism over the straight tube and diaphragm is down and valve should be open. When the lever is the other direction far from the clip, the valve mechanism moves up about 1/8-3/16" moving the diaphragm and valve closes.

Posted on: 2013/8/15 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Howard, thanks for answer.

I have replaced the diaghragm myself and made sure that the machanism moved freely, also after being reinstalled.
I have checked the diaphragm both in closed and open position, whithout the bowden cable - it moves. The hoses are installed as per 29E.
The odd thing is that I ruined the original valve when I forced it into shut position, due to "melting" temp inside the car.
One thing I just dicovered, is that the heater will not be espesially hot. Clogged?
I will investigate some more later on.
Tom

Posted on: 2013/8/15 9:50
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Did you replace the hoses also? Perhaps you have an internally collapsed one?

Posted on: 2013/8/15 10:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Also don't forget to "Flush "out the heater as it may be clogged too form over the years..

Posted on: 2013/8/15 10:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
The heater problem solved. New hoses installed and last but not least, having the engine idling won't get any hot water circulating through the heater.

Thank you all for the inputs.
Tom

Posted on: 2013/8/17 9:45
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved