Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 188

Darrin180, curpack, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: '51 Valve Clatter and Other Mysteries
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You want the bulk of the pressure going to the lifers. Oil filters were an accessory, so on cars without an Oil Filter, the lifters got all the pressure.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 14:00
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks BigKev. I was looking at the spare 288 I have which has mechanical lifters which has no filter and the size of the passage in that elbo couldn't be any larger.
I now remember that the "T" that is on mine had the restricted side to the lifters and the big end to the filter. I changed it around when this subject came up a couple of years ago. Unfortunately when I tried to re-install the the fitting, my wrench slipped and I damaged the fitting & will have to find a new one. I do recall when I turned the restricted side to the filter and took the car for a long test drive the lifters were almost quiet by the end. When I drove it the next day the lifters got louder. If I'm lucky, a good cleaning may help though I suspect some will need replacing.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 20:09
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The restrictor should always be to the filter side. You want the lifters (solid or hydraulic) to get the bulk of the pressure.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 15:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thabk you again, BigKev, for your experience. I wasn't able to go shopping for a new brass "T" fitting today plus I either need to find my Tap & Die set or make a trip to the neighborhood HF to pick up a new one so as to get the remains of the old fitting out of the block. Once that is done, I'll pull the head and hydraulic lifters out of the spare 327 and clean them up prior to doing the same to the one in the car.
The valve area on mine is really clean which makes me wonder what/when has been done to this engine.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 22:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Brief but good day with the '51 today. Went to HF and bought an extractor to remove the broken piece of the 'T' fiitting from the block. The right tool sure wakes a difference. I have two "elbows" from spare engines: Both have larger diameter openings than the "T" fitting though one is bigger than the other. Decided to forget the filter for now and see if the larger passages make a difference. Did they! The amount of valve clatter as well as volume was cut in half. Barely audible inside the car! Also noise is now coming fron only two lifters and one much more than the other. Will try the elbow with the largest diameter tomorrow.
The biggest "squirter" is clearly the loudest lifter. Really feels good to finally feel like I'm getting there thanks to all the help I've been given .

Posted on: 2013/9/8 0:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
The reason I waited so long to get into Packards is I was afraid of parts: Price & availability. After finding this site I realized that this fear was largely bogus. So the wall I've run into is really kind of funny. It's the brass fitting I trashed - and I don't even think it is Packard specific! I'm talking about the brass cross fitting that screws into the engine block which brings oil from the bearing galley. The arm of the "cross" without the restrictor allows the oil to go up to the lifter galley The side WITH the restrictor goes to the Oil Filter. The head of the cross has the Oil Pressure Sending unit.
I've tried every auto parts store chain in Portland as well as the major hardware stores with no luck. My last hope is a hydraulic fabrication company but I wanted to check my credit line with my bank first.
Does anyone have one of these they can spare? Currently I'm bypassing the filter and using an elbow fitting from one of my spare engines. But I really don't want to leave the Filter out of the loop once I get the lifter(s) replaced.
HELP ! !

Posted on: 2013/9/11 17:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Doesn't sound like much if any of a problem if you can find a "Tee" without the restriction, just build the restriction into the fitting (solder it closed and then drill a smaller hole) or into the line, or into the fitting on the filter inlet. At the worst and so sleezy that I'm reluctant to mention it, just partially pinch the feed line the filter a bit.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 17:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Doesn't sound like much if any of a problem if you can find a "Tee" without the restriction, just build the restriction into the fitting (solder it closed and then drill a smaller hole) or into the line, or into the fitting on the filter inlet. At the worst and so sleezy that I'm reluctant to mention it, just partially pinch the feed line the filter a bit.

Ouch!
But that thought had crossed my mind as well. there is even a spot that's hidden by the generator to do it though it would no doubt be best to it as close to the tee as possible.
The real problem - and the amazing one at that is that of finding ANY "cross" style fitting to modify. Hence my posting. They have been made and fairley recently - just no longer stocked.

Posted on: 2013/9/11 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some of the 18-20th filters had the restriction in the elbow fitting at the canister inlet. Here is a mention of one where the inlet was on the bottom. Later postwar filters had the inlet on the side but you could still do the solder and drill job there instead of mashing a tube or looking for a cross.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.88 KB)
209_52311e2215d1c.jpg 374X121 px

Posted on: 2013/9/11 20:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Thanks Howard, that's an option that's good to know about.
Unfortunately a moot one if I can't find a Brass "Cross" fitting to get any oil to the filter at all.

Posted on: 2013/9/12 3:09
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved