Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 250

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

4-Way Flashers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
After owning my 2 Packards and having to pull over in traffic at various times with both cars, I need 4-way emergency flashers! It's got me too nervous to drive either car without them. I would consider the installation as much a safety issue as the seat belts.

Has anyone done this on 6V and 12V Packards in a way that looks as 'original' as possible?

Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 21:26
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 4-Way Flashers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Would be helpful if you could add what year car.

Posted on: 2013/9/5 21:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Sorry, both cars are in my 'tagline' (a 50 Standard'8' and a 56 Executive)

Posted on: 2013/9/5 21:40
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I had to install flashers on my Clipper to register it in Germany. I bought a Single throw Double Pole switch and a second flasher can and wired it to The brake lights and The front parking lights. I can scan in my wiring diagram tonight. The only thing i didn't figure out so great is that when you apply The brakes, the four way flashers stay on with the brake lights.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 0:57
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
may I suggest you try this company. I fitted this to my 34 and have found it excellent Electro- Tech, inc blaine MN 55449 www.turnswitch.com

Posted on: 2013/9/6 1:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
All I see at Electro tech is turn signals, no 4 way hazard/flasher system. Did I miss the hazard retrofit Page?

Posted on: 2013/9/6 6:10
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Tobs wrote:

Quote:
The only thing i didn't figure out so great is that when you apply The brakes, the four way flashers stay on with the brake lights.

When I first learned to drive, back in the 1970s, the brake light switch would override the 4-way flasher, which is exactly how I would want it to work when I was coming to a stop. it's common practice, here, to drive with 4-ways on when travelling at an unusually slow speed on the highway; in fact, commercial vehicles are required to do so at speeds of 40MPH or lower on interstate highways.

It was only in the mid-90s that I noticed the 4-way/hazard flasher function was being reconfigured as new models emerged - now overriding the brake light switch.

IIRC 4-way flashers didn't become standard equipment in the US until 1966. However, I remember that GM offered an accessory kit for models from some previous years, with a harness that simply plugged into a factory wiring connector on the column and a switch/panel that mounted to the bottom of the instrument panel.

Conversion kits were also available in the aftermarket, back then, from SignalStat and other suppliers, which required manually splicing into the harness. My dad installed a Signal Stat kit in his 63 BelAir, but with the ignition off and the 4-ways were on, I could turn the radio on and it would play - though only on the flash!

Except for the occasional NOS offering, those old kits are pretty much obsolete. However, the market may be responding to growing demand in hobby circles with new units. Google "hazard flasher kit" or "4-way flasher kit" and you'll get lots of leads, but I have no experience with any of them.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Sorry Tobs I should have said that the four way hazards are incorporated in the system. All the driver has to do is just hold the control arm down for a seconds and the hazards come on. The system also has a timed indication time which is adjustable. It is very easy to wire in and you can actually see the flasher lights working in the daylight. I tried several of the can time flasher units for 6 volt and they were all terrible. Hope this clarifies things. T

Posted on: 2013/9/6 10:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
The Electro-tech system will NOT work with my cars, in that both cars have self-canceling turn signal switches (they cancel when you turn the steering wheel). This system requires a momentary control switch that sends a signal to the system's control box. It's an awesome system tho.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 11:28
Bob

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I've got some ideas for the 56. I don't want it to look like an add-on switch under the dash. Since I had my radio re-built and the 'speaker' switch on the dash is no longer used, I thought that I might add the 4-way flasher push/pull knob there with one that looks appropriate.

As far as the 50 Standard Eight, I've seen some switches that mount under the dash, or maybe even adapt one to mount in the dash with the other switches (maybe the 'Clutch' switch position.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 11:39
Bob

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved