Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: column shift linkage frozen
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears the shift linkages are pretty much identical thru 54. Minor detail or shape changes with some different part numbers for model changes but the concept and implementation is the same.

Not sure where --other than a parts car-- for the missing piece if Kanter doesn't have it. The 47 parts shows the M spring (3.334) and same part carries over thru 52.

Not sure what the difference might be from the 47 piece since the 22-23 series has two different numbers but here is what the 47 part looks like (arrow pointing to part laying in bottom of shroud). I expect the basic shape of your missing piece will be the same and it may just have been a change of material or construction to warrant the different part numbers.

It looks fairly simple and you might be able to turn it on a lathe. I can give some basic measurements on this 47 piece but you would probably have to measure your setup to be sure it would fit. If you just make a plug to fit in your top rod end with a recess for the M wire, the rest of the piece is probably not that critical

Attach file:

jpg  (38.34 KB)
209_523ccbb4da65d.jpg 1052X377 px

Posted on: 2013/9/20 17:27
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: column shift linkage frozen
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I'm glad to say I'm going to close this thread out. It was fairly simple, once I took the end off and the spring popped out. Beware, there's pill spacers that hold it in that end and they are held by the cotter pin. The good news, there's not much room for the spring to travel, so you don't have to search all over your garage like most springs... It's a bit tricky getting them back in by yourself but a small curved pry implement is needed.
Thanks to all the help and support you all have been with your advice and pix. I learned I was missing parts I didn't even know I was supposed to have and that's invaluable. For H; the Packard P/N I believe is 3.3255 for that end cap. I'm scouring now. Maybe back 2 U if I can't improvise something but it functioned without it so I can remove the M spring in a pinch. The shaft spring looks like SS, it was shiny.
So I have Go, just need to tidy up some wires I took off for starting troubleshooting, attached the gas tank, fix the WHOA, and off we go! tooting our horn! - around the yard at least, she's not registered (yet) and it looks like a delay, SC may have lost my title.
The engineers creed prevents me from speaking evil about other engineers, so in that vein I refer to them as auto designers, but for christ sake didn't you ever hear of a theeaded end cap and zerk fittings???? I had a northstar Caddy and I swear they forgot to design space for the alternator. They crammed in the fenderwell and put the starter UNDER the intake manifold. How's that for brilliance. You had to disassemble half the car to do routine service. I guess they make more $$ on service that way. Put a shroud on it, and they won't mess with it and pay big bucks to fix is their motto.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 18:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved