Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

37Blanche, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

51 u-joints
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Does anyone have a source for the trunnion type universals besides the big two or three suppliers? I'm thinking that $175.00 for the body plus $125.00 more for the rebuild kit is too high.

Posted on: 2008/7/30 19:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 51 u-joints
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
Chrysler Corp (MoPar) used the same U joints in the front of the drive shaft on its automatic transmission cars clear into the 1960's (perhaps beyond, I dont know). My recollection is that there were only TWO sizes used on passenger cars, so your local NAPA or other "counter" type auto parts store MAY be able to get BOTH for you to compare which one yours is, and then return the one that does NOT match up. I presume you know you will need an accurate press to press the pin out.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 8:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thank you for the information. I will look into chrysler for the part. I do know about the pin. I will have to let a machine shop press it out.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 10:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not sure about 1951 though the answer can be found easily enough in the parts book, but the 1954 thru 1956 Senior cars with Ultramatic used a different ball and trunnion (front) joint that the junior cars. If you have a senior and need the housing, buy it at any price as they have been nearly impossible to find for many years, to the point where people are spray-metallizing the old ones and remaching the internals. The rebuild kits are still reasonably plentiful and may interchange with Chrysler, I don't know; they contain the balls and caps, needle bearings, pin and boot. I also don't know if the Chrysler ball and trunnion joint interchanges with the junior or senior cars, but it would be a useful answer for someone to determine and post here.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 16:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Somewhere in all my junk, I have a ball and trunnion driveshaft from a '56 Dodge Coronet. My guess is that if anything it'll be closer to a Packard Junior than the Senior. The Detroit U-joints were pretty popular back in the day, and all Mopar products used them up to at least '56.

Posted on: 2008/8/2 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Thanks for all the help. I have located a new original Detroit u-joint. I was happy to find an original. Everything says Detroit on it. Paid $225.00. Cheeper than the ones from China.

Posted on: 2008/8/8 18:14
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved