Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 187

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Does any one know what's missing or what goes here?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
They used to have an uncomplicated system.
You set the spark from a control on the steering wheel.
Then you set the hand choke based on experience.
Then you got out and hand-cranked the engine being careful to not let your thumb overlap in case of kick-back.
Happy Motoring!

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know that I'd consider it complicated, but Packard wanted to remain competitive and one of their major competitors used a similar system which was considered by many drivers as an advantage.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sometimes you do wonder about progress. Turn the key and push a button or pull a knob worked for years. Then someone decided this was better when all you had to do was push the gas pedal.

Of course, if the engine misfired about the third or fourth push of the gas pedal would present a nice flooded engine -- and pity the poor guy who didn't know about the starting. Lots of people spent time looking for a non existent starter button.

As Dave said. Packard wasn't alone. Several others fell for the sign of progress. Buick used the accelerator start up till at least 1959 and maybe longer.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 14:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, and there were others which some of us older guys can remember. For many years Chevrolet had the starter actuator under the clutch pedal, and for a few years in the 50s Nash incorporated the starter function into the gearshift handle (pulling towards you in Neutral as I recall). And then back in the 30s, you had the most elegant of all, Startix (though an option), which just required you to turn the key on, and if the engine stalled the starter was automatically reactivated.

Posted on: 2013/10/10 15:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I drove a 52 Mayfair for several years. I don't recall any problem with flooding or a carburetor. Perhaps my memory allows facts to slip thru the cracks. Buick had a key position whereby you just turned the ignition switch on - no key needed. Very handy for those that wanted to steal your auto and go for a joyride. I was thankful Packard didn't copy that!

Posted on: 2013/10/10 16:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Randy,
I liked Your explanation of an uncomplicated system !
Basically fuel, fire then wind it up.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2013/10/24 12:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved