Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
245 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 244

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: A couple of T-L problems solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Hotrod Quote:
Is the switch connected in parallel with the under dash T/L switch?

It is wired independently. All it has to do is complete the ground connection to whichever solenoid does the powering of the gearbox in whichever direction. On mine, if I push the DPDT (center return: OFF) batwing switch forward, then the rear of the car goes down; the other way and the rear of the car goes up.

There are more complicated ways to wire this to turn off auto level when using manual control, but with my simple setup, it's procedurely wise to turn off the auto leveling when doing this. Any other switch can be wired this way. I recall that some guys have used the Antenna switch on the dash for this (pull out: rear up).

Craig

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:48
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Riki Quote:
what about this? (showing another pressure switch)

I believe someone discovered that the line pressure switch on certain model Volkswagens are 3-prong and are a direct replacement for the OEM Packard T-L one. Maybe it's in the Xref, but I haven't looked.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/10/14 11:53
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is the 56 TL schematic with the factory manual over ride switch inserted.

That switch was a maintained switch which would hold position. When operated, it disconnected the circuit to the compensator switch at the same time it manually closed the up or down circuit to ground as the relays would have done thru the limit switches. The compensator would run until you either manually centered the switch again or it hit a limit switch.

If you use a modern switch, add it in parallel to the wires exiting the regular compensator switch heading toward limit switches so the limit switches stay in the circuit. With a modern switch, you will have to make sure the TL toggle switch is off when using the manual switch or add a relay circuit to duplicate the disconnect function of the original manual switch.

Max still shows the complete kit with wire harness or just the factory switch only available if you want the real thing.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.56 KB)
209_525c221932493.jpg 1161X834 px

Posted on: 2013/10/14 12:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Od

Kanter.max m...?

Posted on: 2013/10/14 12:23
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hotrod
See User information
That line pressure switch you referenced is from a '74 VW Beetle with NAPA part# Echlin SL 159 or Auto Zone RB402 as a direct replacement for the 3-prong stop light switch.

Posted on: 2013/10/14 12:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Mine is run at the motor

Posted on: 2013/10/14 12:28
Riki
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved