Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
56 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 55

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1934 super 8 hot spot valve
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi all,
Just had my exhaust manifold repaired and unfortunately the hot spot valve inside the manifold completely dis-integrated. Has anyone got any pictures and dimensions of one of these valves. Max sells the repair kits but the sheet metal valve part is not listed.
Thanks
T

Posted on: 2013/10/22 7:30
 Top  Print   

Re: 1934 super 8 hot spot valve
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No dimensions but I have a sketch of the external assembly setup I made many years ago. Hope it's at least partially helpful.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 874.59 KB; Hits: 36

Posted on: 2013/10/22 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply and I already have your sketch. Its the valve I need info for. Is it possible to run the car Ok with out it?
T

Posted on: 2013/10/22 9:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Terry, I didn't realize it was you I was responding to and I do remember sending you that sketch.

Of course you can run the car without the valve in place though I'd give thought to plugging the shaft holes in the manifold if you're going to be without the valve for any period of time. You'll experience some poor fuel vaporization during warmup and in cold weather until the engine reaches it's normal operating temperature and as a consequence you may see a bit more liquid fuel coming from the intake manifold drain line during the warmup period; other than that your car should be quite happy without the heat riser valve. When I put a new exhaust system on my V8 Packard I left the valve off and I only experience perhaps 30 seconds or a minute of sub-par performance while it warms up, though I'll probably reinstall the valve if I ever replace the exhaust system again.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 9:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
No problem Dave,
I would still like to run the car with it and I'll keep fishing around on the various sites, someone may come up with the goods. How are you doing? Have you dried out yet from Hershey? The weather can really be a pain when folks have put all their effort into producing a good show. Still nothing we can do about the weather.
Off to the AAACA site now to post the request.
Take care
T

Posted on: 2013/10/22 10:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Terry, when I get a chance I'll check the parts list and see if the Eight and Super 8 internals are the same. If so, I have a spare 34 Eight exhaust manifold with the internals intact and I could probably make some measurements for you.

Hershey? Well, what can I say except I'm glad I brought a good rain poncho and extra socks and dry clothes.

UPDATE: Heat control valve shaft and paddle have different part numbers for the Eight and Super Eight so any measurement I could take for you would be of limited value but perhaps just a photo of the paddle would be enough for you to fabricate the parts? Internally it's just a shaft and a paddle blade.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Dave, That'll be great. At least it will give me something to work on with the paddle because as at this moment all I have is the shaft and it's external components.
T

Posted on: 2013/10/22 13:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave
See User information
hi there do you know where i can get the thermo spring from for this,also i have just made the hot spot valve and will post a picture of it with some dementions,my one was siezed and it broke when i was taking it apart,my car is a standard 8 1936 which may be the same it,

Posted on: 2013/10/30 17:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Try Max, he had them a while back.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 17:51
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved