Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 131

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1949 Super 8 Deluxe available in NH
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Give me a couple of days and I will see if I can find them.

Posted on: 2008/8/11 20:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The old in-block valve spring compression tools do show up on eBay fairly frequently. I got a really nice one for under $20. There's a ZIM tool on eBay now with an opening bid of $1. Item no. 380054316794.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 7:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Hello E.R. Wood,
Congrats on your acquisition and welcome to an especially cool website!
Are you in the Granite State?...(that's NH for the flatlanders in the audience..)

Posted on: 2008/8/12 9:12
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Welcome to the forum Mr. Wood. It is always pleasant for me to hear of someone finding a worthwhile car at a fair, reasonable price. Mr. O'Toole has a point in his above post. Although a lot of folks say that the hobby is shrinking, the decreasing availability of our cars and the expense of parts for them seem to have kept costs up. You are indeed fortunate to have found such a car for the price and, definitely, in the right place for all of the knowledge and help you'll need with it. Unless I have overlooked some items, most of the literature applicable to it are available, on this site, for download.

Congratulations on your car and I hope you will add it to the registry and keep us updated on your progress with it. Photos and updates are always appreciated here.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 9:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Hello again, E.R. Wood,
If you are in need of parts you might want to check out the monthly antique auto fleamarket in Amherst NH.
They have it the last Sunday of the month from April to October and they start at dawn.

It's a lot of fun and they have great vendors, tire kickers and some pretty good food.
Here's the address:
157 Hollis Rd
Rte 122
Amherst, NH 03031

Amherst is in Southern NH near Nashua.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 11:15
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric
See User information
Yes I am in Weare NH. I have been going to Amherst for 20 years but have not been impressed with it lately. I will be documenting my restoration of the 49 and will post pics as I get more accomplished. Thanks to all for the tips on the valve compression tool.

Posted on: 2008/8/12 14:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I hunted for the valve spring compressors but couldn't find them. That's funny they were right there in the tool box in 1968.

If they turn up I will let you know, in the meantime maybe you can get one someplace else?

Posted on: 2008/8/13 11:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An earlier version of this valve compressor from Sears worked for me on a few engines--not as ideal as the one Rusty mentions but works if you can't find something better.

EDIT: The plier type shown in the middle of the C is what you're looking for but I don't know whether this is a set or not--as I said, mine is several years older and is just the "C".

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet is MAKE SURE you put a rag or something over the oil return holes in bottom of the working area. Those little keepers have the nastiest habit of finding any open one and dropping into the crankcase.

Attach file:

jpg  (5.40 KB)
209_48a30c4daeabb.jpg 196X266 px

Posted on: 2008/8/13 11:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
There's a guy on Craig's List NH who has a Snap-On blue point valve spring compressor and a bunch of other stuff for sale..

http://nh.craigslist.org/tls/793100638.html

Posted on: 2008/8/13 12:19
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric
See User information
Thanks for looking Rusty, I am going after one on Ebay. Thanks also to 55clipper for the CL heads up, much appreciated. Clipper if you are close to the concord area feel free to drop by and see my Packard (and my other antiques autos). The tips and tricks you guys are sharing are the best. Thanks to one and all. attached is my 49 tucked away in the back of my garage fresh off the flatbed from Bedford.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.70 KB)
865_48a32ff62725c.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2008/8/13 14:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved