Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tech Topic by Earl Sejrup
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Below is an excerpt I came across on the web:

Quote:
TECH TOPIC - PACKARD V8 ENGINE
By Earl Sejrup

I believe the V8 engine (PACKARD) had a few bugs. Some of the bugs have been corrected. In '55 (early), the push rods were solid and heavy. The rocker arms were also heavy. At high RPM, the valves would float. Being open, when the pistons came up, the valve went through the piston. The engine would need major repair! Packard changed the push rods to hollow units and they made the rockers much lighter.

1. Is he a member here or anyone know Mr. Sejrup?
2. Anyone seen solid pushrods?
3. Comment on later rockers being much lighter?

I'd always found the failures more likely to have been caused by the valve keepers pulling through the too-soft valve spring retainers and thus dropping the valve into the cylinder.

jack vines

Posted on: 2013/11/7 19:55
 Top  Print   

Re: Tech Topic by Earl Sejrup
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Jack Vines Quote:
I'd always found the failures more likely to have been caused by the valve keepers pulling through the too-soft valve spring retainers and thus dropping the valve into the cylinder.

I agree...that happened last year to Paul in Las Vegas.

And then there's the oil pump.

Other than that, it's a pretty good V-8 engine for a first generation one. It also has lots of torque, obviously important for a Packard.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/11/7 20:04
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Tech Topic by Earl Sejrup
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
I consider Earl Sejrup to be one of the most knowledgable 356 rebuilders, and we have used him for several cars, and recommend him highly. In fact, he's building a spare 356 for us right now.
His phone number is 952-758-2360

...said West Peterson there.

Sejrup, Earl and Jean
32072 Sanborn Dr
Montgomery, Minnesota 56069
United States

He is the Technical Director of Minnesota Packard and owns a 1953 Mayfair and a 1954 Convertible. To form a view on his work this way please. His e-mail address is earl@bevcomm.net and he is one of the group shown below. Take your pick!

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.clubs.hemmings.com/minnesotapackards]

Posted on: 2013/11/7 20:05
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved