Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Fill, Flush?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
OK, I didn't get much of a response on the postwar thread about this, but then there are fewer pre-'55 Packards with power steering. I'm hoping that the greater number who have experience with V8s also have more of the lowdown on power steering.

My '54 shop manual says to fill the power steering reservoir with "Type A" transmission fluid. So far, so good.

My question is, should the system ever be drained or flushed? I've got about 80K on the car, and the P.S. has probably never been touched.

There is a big canister for fluid that sits on top of the pump, and I think it says Purolator on it--for all the world as though it contained an oil filter (the engine itself doesn't have an oil filter).

I see nothing in the manual about a P.S. filter. If there's no filter to change, is there a screen that could be cleaned?

Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 20:41
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Fill, Flush?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a filter. Napa has them for the 55-6 but the older units are larger. Don't know the cross number on those but someone probably does. If not, Max and Kanter and other vendors have them. I don't think there is much to worry about as a routine need for a flush but as a general rule, after this many years it wouldn't hurt to change it.

The filter is the bigger issue and might be a reason for a flush. If the old cardboard top and bottom on the filter has deteriorated like mine did, I expect you will find the filter isn't doing much because the filter is no longer sealed or in position and oil can bypass the element. If the cardboard does disintegrate then the paper particles can conceivably circulate and get stuck somewhere.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 21:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Fill, Flush?
Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Amazing, no engine oil filter, but a power steering fluid filter! I'll pull it out and see if NAPA has a cross-reference for it.

Posted on: 2013/11/18 22:07
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved