Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
129 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 128

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

swapping motors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
My original quest was for a fastback(FB) w/ a 383 stroker. My back up was a GTO. Then this Packard (FB) found me. I'd love to keep it stock but the torque monster in me, just won't get satisfied. My P/U is ~600 HP/1100ftlbs! I almost pulled the trigger on a BMW V12 for it the other day, kinda a early Packard tribute thing, then I saw a nice stroker with a warranty. So is there anyone out there that has done a BMW V12 swap that can enlighten me, pluses/minuses? Forget the you're crazy, I already know that, stick to the facts! I don't see much issue with fit, until the tranny space. Clock is ticking and got to make up my mind v soon. Once the body goes off to sheet metal land and the plasma gets hot, it's a one way street.

Posted on: 2013/11/20 17:54
 Top  Print   

Re: swapping motors?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
I have never used the BMW V12 personally but I had a friend in the Navy that was a huge BMW fanboy. The V12 is a great engine and all things considered they are fairly light weight. The engine is resentally 2 L6 BMW engines smashed together. They are pretty much completely computer controlled and if I remember correctly so is the transmission. The more modern ones are fly by wire so I feel that packaging all this in a vintage car would be an issue. the transmission tunnel would very likely have to be cut and new crosmembers would have to be made but this is true with most engine swaps. If you did away with the fuel injection you would still need an ECU for the ignition timing and variable valve timing and from what I have been led to understand the BMW computer does not like to be messed with. Also these cars have a security system that may or may not be able to be bypassed in the factory ECU so a key with a chip and the related software may need to be used. There is a reason you don't see many BMW engine swaps dollar for dollar they are a very cheap V12 with only an 80s era Jag being cheaper. With all that said it can be done several months ago Hot Rod Magazine had an article where a man swapped a BMW (if I remember right) engine into a Cobra Kit car but that was a mega dollar build. The torque numbers on a vintage Packard engine are very good considering the age of these engines (the big L8s coming in at 270-300 ftlbs) and dollar spend to make the BMW do what you wanted (unless of coarse you already have what you need or have a line on a wrecked V12 car with everything you need)or running the Packard engine would be pretty close in cost IMO and the value of the car would go down quite a bit with the BMW engine. It really comes down to you, your skill level, and dedication to the project. A slow Packard with a Packard engine is much better than a non running cut up Packard with a BMW engine half installed.

Posted on: 2014/3/16 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Packard1984 Quote:
It really comes down to you, your skill level, and dedication to the project. A slow Packard with a Packard engine is much better than a non running cut up Packard with a BMW engine half installed.

Buy a BBC crate motor and turbo/supercharge it with one of the many kits available. You'll get that running way before you get a BMW V12 running.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/3/17 4:43
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote: " My P/U is
~600 HP/1100ftlbs! ".

What brand of engine is that one??? Use the same engine in the packard if you're happy with it in the p/u.

Posted on: 2014/3/17 6:20
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
That looks like a diesel engine to me.
my 2012 ford diesel is 400hp & 800 lbs torque from the factory

Posted on: 2014/3/17 8:22
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved