Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

"Titans of Fortune"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm curious if any of you have read any of the "Titans of Fortune" series of biographical sketches, and especially the one on J. W. Packard, and if so, was it worthwhile with any new information? The series also has volumes on the Duesenberg and Dodge brothers, R. E. Olds, and more. The author is Daniel Alef.

Posted on: 2013/11/29 10:28
 Top  Print   

Re: "Titans of Fortune"
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Have not read it, but will keep it in mind when my reading stack gets shorter.

Currently reading "Triumph - The Incredible Saga of the First Transatlantic Flight" by Hy Steirman and Glenn D. Kittler.

It is the story of the Navy's mission to fly four sea planes across the Atlantic in May 1919. Only three were able to start the flight and only one was able to complete it. The lone sea plane was the NC4 (Navy Curtiss 4). The route was from NAS Rockaway to Newfoundland to the Azores to Lisbon. A picket line of destroyers was placed on the route for communication and rescue jobs. The power plants on these aircraft were four Packard-designed Liberty V-12 engines (three pullers and one pusher). I recently became acquainted with the grandson of the engineering officer on the NC4. His grandfather was a customer of my father.

Great holiday reading.

(o{}o)

There is another book on the subject: "First Across! The U.S. Navy's Transatlantic Flight of 1919" by Richard K. Smith. This book appears to be a more technical telling of the flight. Have not read it.

The NC4 is on exhibit at the naval air museum in Pensacola.

Posted on: 2013/11/29 11:36
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: "Titans of Fortune"
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, let me know what you think of the book on J.W. when you get time to read it. And thanks for the tip on the Steirman and Kitler book, I'll see if it's available as an e-book and put it on my winter reading list.

UPDATE: I just finished the little sketch by Alef; not much to recommend it, pretty much all the same information we've read in many other places.

Posted on: 2013/11/29 12:06
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved