Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
184 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 182

Darrin180, JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Talking to a friend (*which is always dangerous) he
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
mentioned that the bottoms of the TB links should be greased with a secret grease, which he has never seen.

Would anyone care to offer some clarity here?

Also on the subject of lube, what should be done for the TB leveler gears and motor? Any secret greases?

Posted on: 2013/12/16 23:09
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Re: Talking to a friend (*which is always dangerous) he
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe the consensus is the special grease was extreme pressure moly grease and used on the link contact points and in the compensator. Packard listed it as available in 1 lb cans.

In 55 the links were positioned so the cup side of the contact points were pointing upward and even though there was a seal, both were able to collect water. The bottom end was also in a depression in the A arm which could act as a reservoir if drainage was blocked. IMO, the grease is more important on those cars. In 56 the links were redesigned and also reversed so the cup part pointed downward. The bottom load point can not sit in water as easily so maybe the lube is not as important on those. I believe there may be a bulletin to that effect.

I think today the compensator is being filled with the moly grease which is available at most parts stores.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 23:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
By a rather cursory chemical analysis, CRC's StaLube SL3303 appears to be a good replacement for the T/L gear box grease. It's a molybdenum disulfide grease fortified with graphite and Teflon.

No lubrication is called for on the 1956 pins/cups.

Posted on: 2013/12/16 23:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Reyman R. Branting
See User information
One of the Packard Clubs had a national meeting in central Pennsylvania that I attended some time before Three Mile Island became big news. One of the speakers was the engineer who developed the torsion bar suspension.

During the Q & A period, he responded to a question on lubing the TL links. He had advised Packard not to bother, that lubrication was really unnecessary. He removed the boots and lubrication from the links on his car to make his point. That may be the reason lubrication was not recommended for the 56s.

Bernardi

Posted on: 2013/12/17 18:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved