Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 201

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

felt floor pan gasket
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
The engine and transmission are out of the Clipper and I am continuing to detail what I can. Looks like there is a removable front floor pan section just above the transmission. I think I have found remnants of a waterproof felt gasket. I'm thinking I could make a new gasket by gluing up layers of roofing felt. Anybody got a better idea?
Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2013/12/19 0:35
 Top  Print   

Re: felt floor pan gasket
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yup....black silicone RTV. nobody will see it. and it will work just fine and is way cheaper.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 8:27
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If there are no big gaps then RTV would work and would be simpler but harder to deal with if you ever wanted to remove the cover. If you want to go with a material then tar paper probably would be OK and would provide a small bit of a cushion. I think the original was a fairly loose asphalt-felt combination which would compress slightly to account for irregularities in the fit. It seems to have a bit of noise dampening effect too. Not sure how well the tar paper would do in that respect since it's a bit firmer but would do for a waterproofing strip and anti-squeak barrier.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 9:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
When restoring a similar component on another car I was able to find felt sheets and strips both on line and in local industrial supply stores. It comes in many types and colors and various thicknesses. If you glue it onto the cover it will make the cover easy to remove.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 10:17
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Fred Puhn wrote:
When restoring a similar component on another car I was able to find felt sheets and strips both on line and in local industrial supply stores. It comes in many types and colors and various thicknesses. If you glue it onto the cover it will make the cover easy to remove.

And along those lines, McMaster-Carr has a gray oil and water resistant closed cell 1/8" foam strip that would do nicely. Either medium or firm compressibility in 1/2 or 3/4 width. $10 to $16 depending on width for a 50' roll.

Posted on: 2013/12/19 10:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Thanks gents,
The product Howard recommends will do nicely for all the reasons stated. Cushiony and waterproof. Appreciate the help.
Mark

Posted on: 2013/12/19 14:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved