Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 144

Kiwi Lad, Jimmyk, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Vibration in the 1800 RPM range - thoughts or suggestions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I get lots of consultation calls and yesterday's was about a vibration. The owner rebuilt the engine himself and has checked most everything he can think of.

1. The rotating assembly, including front damper and flex plate were professionally balanced.

2. A replacement torque converter was used, but these are supposedly neutral balanced at the factory and thus interchangeable.

3. Idle is smooth, as engine speed is increased, vibration comes either in park and in gear, greatest around 1800 RPMs and becomes less noticeable at higher RPMs.

The owner's plan of action is to remove the torque converter and run the engine without it to determine if the torque converter could be the problem. If it is, then he'll have it rebalanced.

He's also found a field balancing service which uses equipment similar to the old Hunter or Bear on-car wheel/tire strobe light. They'll come out and set up under the car to try to locate the area of imbalance.

Before either of these expensive services are undertaken, anyone think of anything he's overlooked?

One area I suggested is to start the engine and retard the timing from 10 degrees initial back to zero and see if that changes the vibration.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/1/1 18:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Vibration in the 1800 RPM range - thoughts or suggestions
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Did the engine vibrate before the rebuild?????

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try a compression check. Also there is some kind of valve lifter bleed down procedure in the SM.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
Is the motor in a Packard, 56J, or Nash? Is the vibration most noticeable when sitting in the car, or leaning over the fender? Are any of the motor mounts "bottomed out", or brittle? Are the exhaust pipes "kissing" the frame anywhere? Are the pipes rubber strap mounted, as they should be? If in a 56J, is the generator bracket kissing the fender apron?

Did he have the rods checked for straightness when he did the rebuild?

Can he "feel" the vibration, in synch with his ears, by laying his hand on the motor? If its a 56J, can he feel the vibration, in synch with his ears by putting his fingertips on the headliner?

Posted on: 2014/1/1 20:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Hall
See User information
The TC was likely balanced at the factory. But if anyone has disassembled it during the past 50+ years it may be out of balance. I recall making an alignment mark across both halves, before dis-assembly. If the halves are not reassembled exactly as they were when balanced, it screws up the balance.
So, if none of the aforementioned fix the problem, it may be in the TC.

I once test drove a 56J with Torque-Flight tranny installed, and it had a pretty bad vibration, coming off idle till about 2000 RPM. I hypothesized it was due to the spool adapter being slightly out of alignment, but passed on buying the car for fear that fixing it coulda turned into a can of worms.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 23:03
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved