Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 227

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electrical Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
1st off I'd like to say thank you to everyone who helped out with my lighting questions a few days ago.

I've had my 1941 One-Twenty only a few weeks now, and decided I needed a battery tender for it.

Last night when I went to connect the battery tender, I discovered that the battery had been installed negative ground, instead of positive ground. The attached picture shows the cable coming from positive terminal on the battery, connected directly to the starter solenoid.

My questions is; Can I simply reinstall the battery in the correct positive ground orientation, and re-polarize the generator? Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks in advance,
Chad

Attach file:

jpg  (125.78 KB)
36035_52cd644f79ea0.jpg 1280X1119 px

Posted on: 2014/1/8 9:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Electrical Question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A common problem, many folks who grew up in the 12-volt era don't realize that the majority of 6-volt cars were positive ground, Packard, Ford, Chrysler and many GM makes at various times. Assuming no other changes were made all you should need to do is reverse the battery terminals and repolarize the generator. But check the action of the ammeter; if it now reads "backwards" (needle to the (-) when charging), you may have to reverse the leads on the back of it; if the polarity change was deliberate someone may have made a change there to correspond to the battery polarity change.

If your car has any solid state devices added like a solid state radio vibrator or perhaps electronic ignition, they ARE generally polarity sensitive.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Owen,

Thank you for the help.

I have been trying to remember how the ammeter was behaving when I drove it this past weekend, but cannot.

This is my first vehicle with a generator.

Is the easiest way to test this by turning on the ignition, and then the headlights, without starting the car? I assume it should show charging, if just the battery is installed reversed. If it shows discharging, then something else has been rewired, possibly the ammeter wires.

I'll check it out this afternoon when I get home from work and see if it reads backwards.

I read through this Form Post and it helped explain some too.

I know for sure that wiring work has been done on the vehicle, as there are plastic wire looms, and zip ties holding wire bundles together, plus crimp on bullet connectors...I'm trying to work through things as needed, and not drive myself crazy.

Chad

Posted on: 2014/1/8 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is the easiest way to test this by turning on the ignition, and then the headlights, without starting the car? I assume it should show charging, if just the battery is installed reversed. If it shows discharging, then something else has been rewired, possibly the ammeter wires

Yes, but no need to turn on the ignition, just the headlights will draw enough current to determine what you need to know.

Don't forget to polarize the generator after you've reversed the battery but before you start the engine.

Posted on: 2014/1/8 11:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Owen,

I changed the battery polarity, and repolarized the generator, following a procedure posted on another post on these forums. The ammeter read correctly when I turned the key on, and turned on the headlights. Took it for a test drive and all seemed well.

Thanks for your help,
Chad

Posted on: 2014/1/8 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
Be aware that voltage regulators are specific for either Pos or Neg ground. Usually stamped on the regulator. It has to do with the contact points in the voltage relay.

Jim

Posted on: 2014/1/8 19:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved