Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Polish aluminum engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
What is the best way to polish the aluminum block on a 1934 packard motor

Posted on: 2014/1/14 13:56
 Top  Print 

Re: Polish aluminum engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Why are you wanting to polish the block?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 14:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
I guess that I have seen them shine like a mirror on high end cars

Posted on: 2014/1/14 14:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To me, a purist to be sure, polishing the aluminum sounds like a terrible idea; unlike paint or plating it can't be undone and just destroys the originality forever. With the painted parts done well with correct paints, manifolds re-procelainzed, and the plated parts done in the proper nickel plate finish, it's a very attractive engine without mutilating the aluminum.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 15:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
what car of that era used a polished block?

Posted on: 2014/1/14 16:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
To me, a purist to be sure, polishing the aluminum sounds like a terrible idea; unlike paint or plating it can't be undone and just destroys the originality forever. With the painted parts done well with correct paints, manifolds re-procelainzed, and the plated parts done in the proper nickel plate finish, it's a very attractive engine without mutilating the aluminum.

Agreed.
Lonny
I've seen high-end cars "restored" with polished blocks, too, but they weren't that way originally. It looks cheap, in my opinion. If you want it to look its best, stay with original.

Posted on: 2014/1/14 17:16
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
Thanks to all for the great response I guess that I just saved myself some time and finger tips I to am a purist I use much of the original parts I can

Posted on: 2014/1/14 22:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Wogec
See User information
I have heard that glass bead blasting is a good way to get the layers of crud off the aluminum without creatiing a mirror finish. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Posted on: 2014/1/15 16:28
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
If you blast anything, remember to seal all orafices/entries into the engine well. ...as blasting leaves media in places that you didn't think that were accessible.

...and when it comes time to remove said coverings, watch that loose media isn't present on the covering. It can then fall into the orafices on removal.

I rebuilt my fuel pump last summer and found glass beads in the fuel pump vent line. The filtering element stopped it from entering the crankcase, but I was surprised as heck to see it there.

Good luck,

Mark

Posted on: 2014/1/15 17:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
All to many good parts and assemblies have been ruined by blasting media, despite well-intentioned and careful steps to cover or mask. If I really wanted to blast a senior crankcase or oil pan (and I wouldn't do it), I'd do it when the engine was diassembled for a rebuild and even after scrupulous cleaning I'd probably coat the interior surfaces with Glyptal or equivalent. As to blasting media, perhaps walnut shells such as used for tumble-cleaning brass would be a better choice than glass, I'd stay away from sand regardless of what precautions were taken.

I've seen plenty of these aluminum castings cleaned simply with solvents in a vapor degreaser and doubt any blasting media would do much better, if any.

Posted on: 2014/1/15 18:42
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved