Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (140 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 209

Charles, humanpotatohybrid, Owen_Dyneto, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1924 Packard Single Eight post on Motor City Garage...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information

Posted on: 2014/1/21 9:20
 Top  Print   

Re: 1924 Packard Single Eight post on Motor City Garage...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for posting that, I love the first photo, professionally posed no doubt, with the little dog. The double-sided white wall tires are notworthy!

The discussion of the crankshaft layout on the Single Eight is incorrect, it seems to refer not to the 1st (and 2nd) Series Single Eight but to the redesigned crankshaft appearing for the 3rd and later series. The 1st and 2nd series were a 4-4 crankshaft layout with the obviously different timing order. The 2-4-2 layout (with the 1-6-2-5-8-3-7-4 timing order) arrived with the 3rd series and became the norm for nearly all succeeding in-line 8 cylinder engines. The 1st and 2nd series Single Eights with the first crankshaft design had the firing order of 1-3-2-5-8-6-7-4.

Posted on: 2014/1/21 10:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Richard Sturdy
See User information
It looks exactly like my 1922 single six, but with an eight cylinder engine instead of six!

Posted on: 2014/1/23 6:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Love that varnish paint job. It puts everything at "Rabble" Beach to absolute shame.

I'll bet it was done with a brush to boot.

Posted on: 2014/1/23 17:48
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Magoo
See User information
Thank you very much for your interest in the story, "Another Look at the 1924 Packard Single Eight." Assertions about the crankshaft configuration are based on these primary sources:

Automotive Industries June 14, 1923. "New Packard has Eigth-in-Line Engine and Four Wheel Brakes"

Automobile Topics June 16, 1923. "Packard Single Eight Succeeds Twin Six"

The Packard Single EightSAE Technical Paper 230039, 1923, Vincent, Jesse and Griswold, W., Society of Automotive Engineers

According to these original sources, the Single Eight employed what we today call a 2-4-2 crankshaft, with a firing order of 13258674. For example, the Automotive Industries article states:

"The crank pins for cylinders 3,4,5, and 6 lie in one plane at right angles to the common plane of the crank pins for cylinders 1,2,7 and 8."

The theme for this story was originally sparked in 1999 while covering the Packard Centennial in Warren, Ohio for AutoWeek magazine, where Packard Single Eight owners shared their knowledge and showed me their cars, including the engine configuration. I have a great deal of regard for the efforts and knowledge of Packard enthusiasts and I thank you for all you do for automotive history. Wherever you can improve my understanding of automotive history, it is much appreciated.

Thank You!
Mac
Mac's Motor City Garage.com

Posted on: 2014/1/27 15:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved