Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
186 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 186

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1933-34 Dietrich V-windshield customs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've never seen a period picture of a 9th series eight with a painted radiator except for town cars with all bright work painted, the Light Eight, and one used car paint job.

So to me grinding the chrome shell and painting it is a modification more destructive than putting later fenders, wheels, and headlights on it.

Before April 1, 1932, all the cars should have a chrome shell. And all the Dietrich Custom Eights came with a chrome shell. They just weren't painted.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 15:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
That may be the case. You said it looked like crap, and I was just commenting that I didn't agree. I think it looks better. And certainly a customer could have ordered it that way, just like he could order his Eight to have Twelve bumpers. And it certainly was done, as you mentioned with the town cars.

Perhaps it's too bad that one single precedence makes it okay for anyone restoring a car to follow suit. I have a beef with early-'30s Cadillac owners completely chrome plating their wheels when there's only one photographic proof that it was ever done... and it was on a Hollywood car. So now every other concours-quality Cadillac V-16 has the Hollywood chrome wheels on it. The same goes for the same vintage Packards with all-chrome wheels.

Hollywood dictates restorations. That's why we see so many "restored" cars with white sidewall tires.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 15:27
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's why we see so many "restored" cars with white sidewall tires.

West, I'm not a fan of blackwalls on all prewar Packards by any stretch of the imagination, and I certainly don't at all like the all-out jazzed up cars that can appear at Concours. But certainly whitewall tires were far more common on higher-priced cars and I suspect more common than you think. They are on a significant number of cars pictured in the factory brochures. Have you ever gone thru the Packard factory photos of, say 1932 thru 1936, and noted how many have whitewalls? If not, I think you'd be surprised.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.24 KB)
177_530135c014be6.jpg 750X598 px

Posted on: 2014/2/16 17:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Thanks, Dave. I didn't segue very well. That rant was referring to cars in general, Model As, Plymouths, Dodges, etc.

Posted on: 2014/2/16 20:31
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Amen West, blackwalls were the norm for most car in the period, whether new or used, high or low priced. In fact, in period street scenes any car with whitewalls stick out like a sore thumb.

Chrome wires on Classics......just the modern malady.....too much money, no taste. Though I would like to see a '734 Speedster with chrome disks and blackwalls.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/2/17 11:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I believe there is a factory photo of a boattail speedster with chrome discs and blacks. I don't care for it. I'd rather have just the chrome-plated hub sleeve with painted disc wheels. I do love the looks of disc wheels, though. Makes the car look like its moving while standing still. Plus, really easy to keep clean.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 14:01
West Peterson
1970 Camaro RS

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you look in the parts book there is only one part number listed for the 9th series radiator shell while the shutters are listed by color.

The Individual Custom Eight was styled by Dietrich before the V-12 project was finalized. If Ray Dietrich wanted painted radiators he would have done it that way.

I have one period picture of an 11th series eight with a painted shell and it was an export model. More popular was the chrome shutters and shell option on the eight. The brochures for the eight have a couple of pictures with painted shells but the option was not common. However, the parts book clearly shows a part number for a painted shell beginning with the 10th series.

That doesn't change my opinion on using grinders on those shells so they can be painted. The chrome shell is a different part number and once you take a grinder to it there is no turning back. It is ruined. Like spray painting an old musical instrument.

And it looks like "wannabe" (crap). Might as well street rod the thing

Posted on: 2014/2/17 17:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved