Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
34 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 34

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Manifold surfacing
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Has anyone faced the intake & exhaust manifolds for a 282" engine after they have been reporcelinized? The intake has been on the car forever, the exhaust was something newer & non-porcelin.
They fit & align quite well, but flange surface to the block leaks when they are installed, as much as3/16" when
they are bolted together. I think they should be bolted together and then surfaced until true.
Thanks for any ideas / input.

Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/3/1 18:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Manifold surfacing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think they should be bolted together and then surfaced until true.

Correct.

Posted on: 2014/3/1 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I am probably wrong on this but milling the exhaust (or intake) flanges 3/16 seems to be alot. Some of those flanges are only about 3/8 thick at most, aren't they? I would be concerned that they will be too thin after milling and may crack when bolted on or heated up. ...just wondering.

Not questioning that they be bolted together before milling. I expect that they need to be.

Good luck,

Mark

Posted on: 2014/3/5 15:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I agree with Owen, at our restoration shop we normally separate and clean the two manifolds install a new gasket, bolt it back together and then mill true.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2014/3/5 15:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree Mark, I didn't pay attention to that part of the statement. That seems just an unbelievable amount to have to mill and if so, would probably make the manifolds useless. I've only had experience having a couple of manifold sets surfaced and IIRC about 0.040" was required, at most.

Ross has probably been thru this more than most of the rest of us, looking forward to his comment.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 15:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Is one of the manifolds from a different car? If so, maybe milled already causing such a big difference. You may need to get a different manifold.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 19:27
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The worst I ever saw was still less than 1/16". Would not like to do a whole lot more than that because of the flanges. If the mismatch is really 3/16", then something else is wrong.

Posted on: 2014/3/5 21:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dave Munger
See User information
Thanks to All:
For the information & advice. The situation required some rework of the mating surfaces & ( boss / flange ) areas, where washers contact manifold.
I just didn't want to have to do that after having the porcelain redone. Again, Thanks All.
Packard 385

Posted on: 2014/3/22 11:55
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved