Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 173

Guscha, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Control Arm
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Anna Rosanna was right - its always something...

While waiting for my shocks from the rebuilder, we are going through the rest of the front end. New seals, etc.

On the upper (inside) of the control arms (15.502), the arms are threaded for the outside of the bushings. The inside of the bushings thread to the bracket (15.5036). On the drivers side, the outside threads on one of those arms has rusted quite a bit, causing considerable play between the arm itself and the bushing. The bushing doesn't even thread, it just wobbles. Which explains why the arm was chewed up on the outside where the bushing tightens up.

Question - can the arm be repaired or should I be shopping for a replacement control arm?

Thanks.
Mark

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:26
 Top  Print   

Re: Control Arm
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My vote would be to try for another arm. Parts book says the same 15.502 item was used thru 1950 so I wouldn't think there would be a problem locating good used and maybe even new.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:45
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure the arm can be repaired, the question is really "do you want to?" It could be spray-metalized or welded and remachined to original specs. That would probably cost you many times the cost of a new or good used arm.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
I am on the hunt...

Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2014/3/7 15:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved