Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
55 user(s) are online (37 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 54

jgrohn, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch linkage
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
Going through the clutch linkage on my 2106 (standard no electro). I see that there is a needle bearing (3.1385) on each side of the relay lever (3.128). Inner bearing screws to the bell housing and the other to a bracket.

Lots of wear here. Not so much on the inside needles, although they fall out of the race and I assume they should not. But, the outside of the bearings show grooves where the lever has been wearing against them and the bearings seem a very loose fit in the lever.

Questions for the masters. Shouldn't those bearings be a snug fit in lever? If so, any harm in getting bearings slightly oversize in O.D. to fit tightly?

Thanks,
Mark

Posted on: 2014/3/14 11:40
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch linkage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When real longevity of fit is desired, needle bearings are not the greatest choice for moving parts that don't make a full revolution as the needles tend to flat-spot from the partial revolution back and forth. This is often very noticeable in needle bearings from king pins and universal joints. I've never had one of those assemblies apart so no specific recommendation on what to do about it - lots of possibilities. One would be to try to find a caged needle bearing assembly of the proper dimensions - make some measurements and try a good bearing supplier. Also, if the mating surfaces aren't too worn, how about just trying new needles?

Posted on: 2014/3/14 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The bearings should be a snug fit in the lever.
I don't know if oversize ones are available but the direct replacement should be available off the shelf.

Torrington B 1012 X

Posted on: 2014/3/14 12:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And McMaster also carries them if you can't get one locally. You might double check these dimensions to be sure since I've ordered other bearings and might have them confused. I believe this is the correct one for the clutch. I ordered this when one of mine turned up missing. It was a perfect match to the other bearing still with the car.

Posted on: 2014/3/14 13:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved