Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 129

Darrell, kevinpackard, Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 Custom Kingpins
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
My 1948 Custom has some kingpin play in the left front wheel. There doesn't appear to be abnormal tire wear, but the play can be felt and seen with the wheel pressured side to side top and bottom while off the ground. I assume the pins/bushings need replacement. Any tips? What special tools are required?

Posted on: 2014/3/30 23:53
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 Custom Kingpins
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just follow the procedure in the shop manual, nothing overly complicated though be sure to pay specific attention to the load on the radial thrust bearing via shims. You might (or might not) need a ream or burnisher for the pin bushings. It's the same diameter for many GM cars and trucks of the 40s, and even for the last of the Corvettes that used kingpins (thru 1962). Here's picture of my pin driver and ream, because of the Chevrolet application I see these not infrequently at the larger automotive flea markets. Ream diameter is 0.868".

Attach file:

jpg  (82.51 KB)
177_53399f7368ef2.jpg 1280X637 px

Posted on: 2014/3/31 11:59
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Just something to check first is the adjustment of the
wheel bearings, usually the king pins would have play top and
bottom, side to side not so much.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 18:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
The play is at top and bottom. I can see the spindle movement so it's not wheel bearings.

I guess I'll have to find a reamer tool. That's one item I don't yet have.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 22:09
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Its handy, but you don't need to look for that specific tool. Firstly the bushings may not require reaming (do a trial fit and see), and secondly you can buy or rent an adjustable reamer that can be set for any dimension within its range that is desired, adjustable reamers are just common machine shop tools and widely available. Granted you might only use it once - then it's something to share with others when their need arises.

Posted on: 2014/4/2 22:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved