Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 202

Diablo, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

56 Trunk Lock
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Curses! I can't open my trunk (56 Caribbean). I suspect the little machine screw fell out that holds the link to the lock cylinder. The crest rotates normally, just doesn't release the lock. This is a convertible and it doesn't look to me like you can get into the trunk via the backseat, but I'd appreciate confirmation of that. Also any other ideas. At the moment the only idea I have is to drop the gas tank and cut a hole in the trunk floor to get access. I'm guessing that removing the license plate bracket and trying to carefully use something between the trunk lid and lower body riser is futile? Looking for someone who's been there, done that. Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 19:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 56 Trunk Lock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Before you do anything desperate try removing the rear seat. If there is not room for even a skinny kid to wiggle inside and pop the latch there is one more possibility.

Borrow all the socket wrench extensions you can find and remove the bolts that hold the latch on. If this is not possible maybe you can reach the hinge bolts.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Turn the crest all the way gently, the gently push DOWN on the trunk. I have to do this every once in a while on my Patrician. Chances are though, that the potmetal piece on the back of the crest broke off.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Follow T'Pacmans advice. I had the same problem with my 56 Exec. The link rod that connects from the handle down to the latch is either too long or too short by 1/8 inch. I can't remeber which. This problem was corrrected sometime well into 56 production. There is an STB or SC on it.

5672-1074 had the wrong link rod. 5672-1834 had the rite one. 1/8 difference if i remeber rite.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
See Service Counselor dated April 56. Vol 30 #4 about a plate that was added in production to the lock mechanism siteing a correction for the problem u explain.. I can't find the info on the rod length. Not in SC's i have.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 20:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I will see if I can determine a solution as my back seat is already out of the carib. Don't do anything desperate yet. They did change the trunk lock and drilled a hole for a cotter pin instead of the earlier E-clip which would fall off and the allow the link to slip off. Gather up all the extensions you can locate. I had to use several to reach and remove the two bolts that secure the upside-down U-shaped bracket. I did this in a 400 not a convertible. We'll see tomorrow.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't remember the different lengths but do remember the original press on retainer to keep the link rod on cylinder. Those did work loose.
I'm not familiar enough with the convertible to offer suggestion but did have to do the long extensions and remove the bolts bit. That's when I found the article about cotter key and drilled my own rod.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 21:21
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Official emergency trunk opening tool:

(Wish I had some real practical advise to add, but the '54s locl assembly is different, and thats all I know)

Attach file:

jpg  (17.87 KB)
1_48af7d8912bcd.jpg 375X500 px

Posted on: 2008/8/22 22:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks guys, you've given me some hope for other solutions. And just to make it more interesting, the trunk is pretty full of luggage and spare parts boxes, and my Service Counselors are in there also! Figures. And it also has the plate added to keep the crest vertical. Lots of extensions sounds like the best idea.

Posted on: 2008/8/22 22:28
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Many thanks for the ideas guys, and especially to Randy Berger for looking at his stripped 56 convertible to see what access to the trunk was like. The operation was simple and successful. Should anyone else ever have this problem, best way is to remove the rear seat cushions, then the lower valence (upholstery snaps),then remove the cushion frame support (2 phillips head screws and 7/16 nuts each side. Then you can remove the bottom of the well liner (2 phillips screws). The opening into the trunk is quite large, not enough for a human being but plenty large enough to remove much of the luggage and tools. About 55 inches of socket extensions and 7/16 socket easily removed the 2 bolts on the inverted "U" latch bar, and viola! The failure mode was the off-center pin on the end of the lock cylinder which retains the latch lever snapped off.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved