Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

HH56, 56executive, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel gauge
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
I have a 1950 Packard. I put in a new sending unit and rewired to the gas gauge. The gauge doesn't register properly. Do I need a new gas gauge? Is there a test? Any suggestions. JE

Posted on: 2014/5/2 18:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel gauge
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What kind of sending unit did you use -- a Packard item from a vendor or something else? 48-50 have a different type sender than other years. If a Packard item, is it the correct one for the tank -- there were two different senders for two different size tanks.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 19:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1950 Packard
See User information
Hi:
I ordered this sending unit from Kanters. They got my old one before they sent out the new one. Before I installed it I had a shop to boil out the tank and seal it inside and out. An excellent garage did the work. Even checked the ground. I suspect the gauge. JE
PS: I think that Kanters rebuilt the one that I sent to them. JE

Posted on: 2014/5/2 19:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The way Packard had the mechanics test gauges was to use a known good sender. Since the 48-50 used a bimetal heater type sender not easily available today, that is not really feasible anymore. In other years Packard used straight resistance type senders with differing values depending on which brand gauges were used so none are a direct substitution.

There was a poster at the PAC forum who did some testing on his 49 and found some resistance values that worked. His sender was not rebuildable so he decided to convert to a straight resistance aftermarket type sender. As far as I know, his substitution has been successful.http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2302

Unless you have access to a known good gauge to test in your car, you might read thru his posts and duplicate the resistance values he used and see if your gauge responds with the same readings. Without having another sender, that would probably be the best way to test your gauge.

Posted on: 2014/5/2 20:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I have gas gauge problems on both my Packards; a 39 120 and a 51 200. I was visiting my friendly local Hudson mechanic today, who is rebuilding a 46 Jeep. He had to buy a new body, but still has the old one. On the floor board of the body was round embossed access plate for getting to the master cylinder. I have stolen it from him and will be cutting a hole in the trunk of probably the 39 first, and installing the access plate on it so that I can easily get to the gas gauge sender unit without having to breath gas fumes while draining the tank. There is always about ten more gallons in the tank than I thought. I'll post photos when I do it.

Here's a website for the part. $22

http://www.kaiserwillys.com/product/716/willys-jeep-body-floor-brace-repair-parts-accessories

Posted on: 2014/5/2 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I had a 49 Packard with non operating fuel gage. Quick check to determine if sender or gage is to ground the sender wire-if gage reads full it is the sender( donot leave it grounded long-it could damage gage). I found the problem was with the sender-sent it out for rebuild-came back it did not read correctly-had to send it back to rebuilder-second time worked ok. Point is as mentioned above Packard used a bimetal sender in the 48-50 yrs and even the Packard wizards screw them up.

Posted on: 2014/5/3 7:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I had a 49 Packard with non operating fuel gage. Quick check to determine if sender or gage is to ground the sender wire-if gage reads full it is the sender( donot leave it grounded long-it could damage gage). I found the problem was with the sender-sent it out for rebuild-came back it did not read correctly-had to send it back to rebuilder-second time worked ok. Point is as mentioned above Packard used a bimetal sender in the 48-50 yrs and even the Packard wizards screw them up.

Posted on: 2014/5/3 7:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved