Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 192

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Torsion level.. need help
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Have 55packard custom 4dr. Been running good without any issues. Have had 2-4 adults in the car and rides nicely, even with a light load in the trunk (Small cooler).

Last time out, it was just Me and my two young boys, the Front end came up and my end was "Dragging" Kept hearing a Popping/knocking sound in the front. Now, I know my Torsion Switch and motor are not connected. (Saving for the big rebuild)I haven't had any issues before. Anyway I can "LEVEL" the car? Open to all info!

Thanks
Mycoldcorona

Posted on: 2008/8/23 10:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Torsion level.. need help
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you have checked out the front for cause of popping noise. Something sudden like that may be as simple as one of the rubber swaybar bushings to frame or to lower suspension arm at each end has gone missing. Very common since the clips break or rubber finally gives out but you need to be sure. If all of those are OK, then you really need to have things looked at to be sure something is not about to fall off. Is the reason your leveler disconnected electrical or mechanical? If mechanical, not able to do much without repair, but if electrial, there are ways to energize.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
My t/l system tries to work, but the wireing between the solenoids and the motor is bad. if i want to change the attitude of the car, i attach jumper cables to the motor terminals. Then i just touch one clamp or the other to the battery positive post to raise or lower the rear.

I have a noise like you describe. the rubber bushings on my swaybar are deteriorated. have a helper bounce the car while you look underneath.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 13:52
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Thank for the reply!

OK, As far as I can see, Everything looks OK under the front end.(check again this morning) The front end did not just rise suddenly, as I was driving, this is what happened,about 5 miles into a drive I noticed my front end going up, it was gradual, but it did go up and my ass end went down. Now I know how it felt to be in a Highjacker!:)

Anyhow, this is the thing. I parked the car and as it sat i could see the car slightly level, but not completely! (don't know if it was because I unloaded the car and everyone got out, and/ or if would have stayed up that way if I kept the load in the car)

This morning, after checking underneath, I pushed down on the front bumper and it came down!! Drove the car (the 3 of us agin, just running around to do some errands) NOW the car seems ok, although my front end is a tad higher than normal. (now this by how the front wheel radius meats with the whitewall tire)

The reason the torsion is disconnected is electrical. The unit is "done", at least this is how I came into the car and was told that the electrical unit needed replacing.

Still open to all suggestions.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 14:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I agree that energizing the motor directly is a way of doing it but you totally bypass the limit switches doing so. If that is the only way, then PLEASE use caution.

In the picture, a new compensator lever assy is shown next to one that is damaged. Note on the damaged unit, the splines are twisted off and one of the bars is bent. The difference between a good unit and one that is junk is only a few degrees of rotation past the limit switch.

The gear down and strength of that dual planetary compensator assy is tremendous, and unfortunately there is very little notice of things going wrong.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.36 KB)
209_48b061db0fc4a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/8/23 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your car is at what Packard called the "point of equilibrium" or in other words, balanced. When the leveler was disconnected, car was undoubtedly empty, brought to level and left there. When it started going down, something had changed the balance and couldn't correct so it went down. Afraid not much can be done short term until leveler working because if you move things, then the tail is just as likely to go up and stay there.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 14:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Edgar
See User information
Hey, Home away from home & Not to shy to talk,

Thanks for replies. Good idea having a someone bounce the car while I look underneath. Let you know what i find.

As far as I can see, all the bushing are there, but some in need of replacing.

Cheers to you both!
Mycoldcorona

Posted on: 2008/8/23 14:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
No problem!

I found my swaybar would bind slightly, then pop up and whack the top of the pocket while the suspension was moving.

Posted on: 2008/8/23 15:02
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I had that problem of "sudden changes in altitude" for a while on my '56 Patrician, and it turned out to be a bad box. You'd be driving down the road and for no reason it'll decide to go in "low rider mode". The wife was convinced it was possessed, and still does to this day. It turns out one of the wires inside the box had gotten tangled and was making contact at certain times when you hit a bump just right. I know it doesn't explain your situation with all the electrical disconnected, but it may help others in the future, plus it's a funny story!

Posted on: 2008/8/23 21:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved