Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 211

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

In a quandary
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
I have a 1948 2202 super 8, this is my first frame off restoration.
I have to say I didn't do my home work on this one, I LOVE the packards, and really wanted one, so I got one, not realizing the cost involved in the parts and all to get it back on the road.. First thought was to find a purist to take over the build, and second thought was to do a restorod, of witch I have all parts for it, meaning, I would have a Packard body on a Packard frame with another drivetrain.
The plus side to option 2, I would have a lot of really nice parts that I'm sure someone could use to make their packard complete...

It is a complete drive train, It have the red peddle clutch, and overdrive, with all cables (running in cab) in working order

With all this said, I pray I find not hate threads, but I would like to know what fare market prices are on the drive train.

I have the utmost respect for everyone I have talked to on this form.

Enclosed are some pic of drive line..
I also have a video of motor turning over.

Thanks for all. Your help, and for not hating me.. Lol

Attach file:

jpg  (127.02 KB)
47971_5369a89547755.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (98.56 KB)
47971_5369a8c13f23e.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (101.49 KB)
47971_5369a9030b5f0.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (118.06 KB)
47971_5369a9159ffe6.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/5/6 22:33
 Top  Print   

Re: In a quandary
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I'm curious about your analysis. You say that the reason to rod instead of restore is cost. Superficially, it would seem cheaper not to have to modify but to use everything that already fits. Can you share the comparison?

PS - I assume this is a sedan. If it's a two door you should pause.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 8:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
For what its worth, when I was ready to overhaul my 51 200, my wife suggested that we put a Chevy 350 and automatic in it. I checked around town to get an idea of prices, and it was considerably more than completely overhauling the 288. As it turned out, it would have been at least $3000 more, assuming that I didn't do anything to the front end. There are a number of Packard club members in your part of Texas who can guide you towards good mechanics. I would suggest you go that route, unless you just really want a hot rod. And if you do, be prepared for the high dollar paint job, disc front brakes, new front clip, custom interior, fancy wheels etc that the hot rod crowd seems to love.

You might want to contact Terry Weiss in Tyler TX. You would have to trailer the car there, but it might be worth it to you. Jerry brought my 39 120 back to life in a very short time, at a reasonable price. Let me know if you need his address and phone number.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Smann:

Nobody here is going to make fun of rodding your car unless it is a nice original car. Those just aren't surviving. If you like the look of the car, but want to use it for long trips on the expressway then a hotter drivetrain is required. Today I was putting along in the slow lane at 60mph and everything was passing me. I don't care because the roads in Michigan are so bad I drive slowly to steer around the potholes. I steered around one that was big enough to blow a tire.

I was at a plant one day and there was a loud shot and flap, flap, flap from a truck that hit a pothole. On the expressway in Detroit there is a complete semi tire leaning against the fast lane barrier that blew off a truck when it hit a pothole (I saw the truck off road with the entire tire missing). So here in Michigan trying to drive a Packard will only turn it into junk.

So enjoy your car as you see fit and let the purists worry about maintainin the nice original cars.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I'm a little confused. If the power train is in decent shape and the rod isn't sticking thru the block I don't see how it could be easier or cheaper to swap in a new power train. I have done such swaps and they cost money even if you get the engine/trans for free.

The second question is, if the rod is sticking thru the block what good are the parts to anyone else?

Friend of mine overhauled a similar motor and the parts cost under $1000. Rings, valves, timing chain, bearings, oil pump etc. I forget if he had to buy new pistons but I don't think so.

They aren't a hard motor to work on and parts are available. It might cost less than you think.

And if you need to raise cash you will have a lot more luck selling the Chev powertrain.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 17:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Thank you all for the advice, I truly value it... To try and answer some of the questions..
It is a 4 door.
The motor turns, and I see nothing wrong with it, all vales go up and down all pistons go up and down. So I ave to say the motor is in great shape except it needs to be rebuilt, at over $1000.00 for all the parts to rebuild, and another $500.00 for the block work,( I called every shop with In 100 miles) and another $500.00 plus parts for a valve job.
The trans goes in all gears, I know it will need a clutch.

Now I may have miss lead you. I'm NOT making a hot rod, I'm putting a stock motor in it, with a auto trans, all of this I have, I was going to put in another car, but never did,
As for the front and rear supination I also have the parts already, none was planed for this car.

The body of this car is in awesome shape, 1 dent, and it's 100% complete.

I was just thinking out loud, that is I had the parts, and someone could use the original parts. It would be win win..

Also, it is being converted to 12 volts, so this also keeps me leaning to the swap.
I hope this helps you help me, make up my mind. I have read so many post about you guys talking sense in to guys like me...

Thanks again.... Blessings.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.84 KB)
47971_536ad2d25867c.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2014/5/7 19:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
How about skipping a rebuild and finding a good running engine? May not have all the power it used to, but still reliable. Just a thought. Even the smaller version of the motor would drop in.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 19:48
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Changing to 12 volts means changing the bulbs, adding resisters for the gauges, & redoing the starter (some say it's not necessary, but I would recommend it). It's not too hard or expensive.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 19:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Shane
See User information
Going all LED lighting anyway, not sure if the overdrive gov. And sol. Will work.
The dash was updated to all 12volt retaining some of the original look...

Posted on: 2014/5/7 19:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ScottG
See User information
For what it's worth, I spent about $1200 rebuilding a Ford 302 back in 1999 so $2000 to do your 327 in 2014 doesn't seem unreasonable. Also, don't forget that your time has value. An engine swap to a non-Packard mill is going to take some serious planning and fab work that wouldn't be involved in pulling/re-installing the Packard 8.

One question though...you said the engine turns over but needs to be rebuilt. What leads you to this determination? If it were me, I'd at least try to get it running first before I thought about either a rebuild or a swap. If it's not broke, why fix it, right?

Good luck,

Scott G.

Posted on: 2014/5/7 22:59
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved