Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
242 user(s) are online (172 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 240

RKS, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Re: 1956 Build Slip Codes
Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
that tells me where to look for the codes on here. thanks! as for the slip, i doubt the one for the 56 is intact if it was even there in the first place. and that is the one i'd want to find since it's such an odd-ball car!

Posted on: 2009/3/14 18:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Hard to believe three years have passed since I first published these charts, but in view of some recent discussion in another thread (and now that I've recovered from a HDD failure), be advised that I have again revisited and revised them for 55th and 56th Series.

Transmission and Overdrive:

I've ammended the availability of Overdrive (OD) equipment, based on the Approved Codes for 56th Series document, which I'd previously seen a copy of, but was recently provided in this post in the "found 1956 Packard Executive" thread. I noted OD as optional for 56th Series Senior models, but with a footnote that Manual Shift Tranmsision was required.

However, none of the Trade Letters that I have examined from other years show Manual Shift Transmission (MS) offered as an option, but we know it was standard equipment on many, though not all, models. Seems to me that the Trade Letters only deal with equipments that were available as an option - not those that were part and parcel of the base package - like engines. So, I decided to leave MS out of the table (proper) until such time as we find a bona fide factory letter that was clearly issued to dealers detailing this equipment.

Power Windows and Locks:

Another revision involves Electric Window Lifts (WL) and Door Lock (DL) equipments for 56th Series. Although the Trade Letters specifically offer it for "all Four-Door Sedans", the Approved Codes document shows otherwise - as does the factory parts book. This is more in line with power windows as offered for the 55th Series.

Power Brakes:

The Approved Codes also shows that Power Brake (BU) equipment became standard on Executive, Patrician and Four Hundred - previously optional on these models. Also, Brake Signal (BS) was included on cars with Push Button Transmission Shift

Heating and Air Conditioning:

I found the Trade Letter documenting the withdrawal of underseat heater equipment on 1956 Caribbean models.

Along those lines, it appears that I initially misinterpeted availability of Fresh Air Heater and Defroster (HE) equipment for 55-56 Senior cars. According to the Trade Letters, it was only offered for the Clipper line, which led me to believe it was standard on Senior models. However, after the Underseat Heater (UH) option was withdrawn Caribbean models, those cars then got Fresh Air Heater and Defroster (HE) as standard equipment. However, while the Supplement reiterates this as optional for the Clipper line, it says NOTHING about Patrcian and Four Hundred. Yet, the respective owner's manuals describe heater equipment as "available". Yet, Approved Codes for 56th Series shows HE optional for all models, incvlduing Packard line, but standard on Caribbean models.

So, I've concluded - for the time being - that Fresh Air Heater and Defroster with Underseat Heater (HEUH) was the only option for the Senior line; Executive models follow the Clipper pattern.

For 55th Series, the revisions were fewer, but I found documentation for AIR as Air Conditioning (optional on all models) and UH for Underseat Heater (with AIR package). Similar to the AC and UH offering for 56th Series, I dovetailed this into the chart at the same location as the 1956 chart.

Others:

I found Dual Exhaust (DE) added, in a Trade Letter Supplement, for 1955 Clipper Custom models. Lustre Seal (LS) was also added for all 55th Series models.

Export Codes:

Last, but not least, in view of a production order that surfaced with build codes for vehicle shipped to Europe, I've add the Export Equimpment from the Approved Codes document for 56th Series.

As always, I will revisit these charts as more factory documentation becomes available.

IF YOU PREVIOUSLY DOWNLOADED THESE EITHER OF THESE CHARTS, PLEASE DISCARD YOUR EXISTING PDF FILE(S) AND HARD COPY AND THEN DOWNLOAD THE LATEST REVISION, NOW AVAILABLE AT:

1955 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart

1956 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart

Posted on: 2011/9/2 11:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I found a corner piece of the build sheet for my '55 Clipper Super. It had been taped to the floor board on top of the transmission hump. I talked about this find on my project blog.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/9/2 15:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved