Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
236 user(s) are online (152 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 234

John Wogec, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

1956 Build Slip Codes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've run across a more extensive list of build slip codes for 1956 Packards than I'd seen before and thought you might find it interesting. No doubt some apply to 1955 and perhaps even 1954 and earlier cars. Of course not all items were available on all models, and some were standard equipment on some models and not listed on the build slip. A couple were new to me, for example 2 different power seat codes and what would seem to be a black top (presumably for Caribbeans?). Also I wonder what "high speed equipment" meant. Also note there is no code for standard transmission which I think may confirm that no cars where Ultramatic was standard were shipped with stick shift (though dealers may have been happy to convert them). This is somewhat confirmed by the fact that there was no Utica Plant engine code for Caribbean engines with standard flywheels. Anyway, conjecture away and enjoy.

HE Hot air heater
HEUH Hot air heater & underseat heater
OD Overdrive
HS Hub shell covers
WRC Wheel trim rings - chrome
WRP Wheel trim rings - painted
WR Wheel trim rings - stainless
RPM Radio manual antenna
RPE Radio electric antenna
RUE Radio universal tuning (Wonderbar?)
OB Oil bath air cleaner
OF Oil filter
PL Power-Lok (Twin Traction) differential
BL Backup light
RR Radio - reat compartment speaker
FS Rear fender shrouds
VM Rear view mirror - non-glare
PS Power steering
BU Power brakes
TTO Tubeless tires
SF Heat absorption glass, filter
SG Heat absorption glass
CW Chrome wire wheels
CK Glove box light
WT Wheel trim - wire
GS Automatic transmission
ST Front seat power track - 4 way
EWL Electric window lifts
TWST Front seat power track - 2 way
WS White sidewall tires
SP 6-ply tires
WW Windshield washer
Cl Trunk compartment light
AIR Air conditional unit
TM Black top
WM White top
TL Torsion level suspension
PERMA F Permanent antifreeze

There are others where the code letters are not legible:

High speed equipment
Tool kit
Extra wheel & tire
Cigar lighter
Accessory kit
Two-tone paint

Posted on: 2008/8/24 22:34
 Top  Print   

Re: 1956 Build Slip Codes
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

I've got photocopies of some factory Trade Letters from 1955 and 1956 that cover the order/build codes, and - inspired by the sheet you provided for the 24th-25th Series - I have put together charts for 55th and 56th Series that will show what was standard, optional and not available by each model.

I intended to upload to these charts to the site months ago, but have been sidelined with too much work - both at work and home. After a final review, I hope to have these in BigKev's hands come Labor Day weekend.

There are some differences in the codes used between 55th and 56th Series and a photocopy that I also have of what appears to be some dealer's vehicle inventory, but I'm going with what the factory letters say. I'm thinking there were some dealers (or even Zones) who would make up their own codes for some things that the factory had none for. If I ever accumulate a complete set of Trade Letters, I'll revisit and update the lists.

Please stand by.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 8:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sounds like a truely worthwhile endeavor, I look forward to seeing the final product.

Posted on: 2008/8/25 9:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I'm sorry that it took a few more weeks for me to finish the charts, but I had to figure out where I left off months ago. The payoff was that I found and corrected a few misinterpretations on my part and was able to give the footnotes a little more polish. I am pleased to see that these charts are now available for the viewing pleasure of all here at P'Info.

Because I found the letters and supplements cumbersome to follow at times, I wanted to provide a single point of reference for each Series - though only for 55th and 56th Series, with which I am most familar. I though it might be nice to develop a format like what you find in sales brochures in more recent years, though the factory did not assign code for the most basic of standard equipment. BTW, perhaps there was no fixed code for two-tone paint, but they merely used the paint code to indicate that.

Whether or not you have a build sheet/strip/slip or production order, it is interesting to identify what equipment was standard vs. optional on your car.

I'm sure there will be some questions and even some challenges, but I feel that the factory Trade Letters are the ultimate word on this - though I certainly don't have them all.

I hope that others with similar letters for earlier Series will develop similar references for others to enjoy.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 16:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Very commendable job, Brian, and thanks for all the work that went into it.

I believe the 56 Caribbean roster which was published by PAC some years back with aid from all the build slips shows that just one or two of the very first 56 Caribbean convertibles had the underseat heater before Packard apparently decided it was impractical. I can did out the specific car numbers if you wish.

EDIT: Brian, now that I've downloaded and looked more closely at your work, I should have been a bit more profuse with my compliment. Very professional indeed!

Posted on: 2008/9/13 17:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Owen -

After your fine work on the codes for 24th-25th Series, I take that as a quite a compliment.

I only have photocopies of the letters that I've listed as sources, but one of them contained a short handwritten note (not even a compelte sentence) regarding the underseat heater for Caribbeans in a supplement that I don't have. From past conversation with Randy Berger, I knew there was at least one example that had it factory-installed, and it was listed in the 1956 Salesman's Data Book as one of the few options available on the Caribbean.

So, for that and other running changes, I resorted to footnotes. (Things sure got complicated for the 56th Series production run.)

I figured there might be other supplements, and I just finished with a pleasant and enlightening phone call from Dwight Heinmuller, who has some copies of additional letters for my review that may shed some light on the Exec and perhaps a few of the codes/options that you cited in your opening post.

Stand by for a first revision of the 56th Series chart.

Posted on: 2008/9/13 22:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Add my congratulations and thanks for a job well done. The V8 community owes you another debt of gratitude.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 9:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A beautiful job.

Regarding the underseat heater availability. I seem to recall reading there was an issue with fitting a heater under the Caribbean seat frame because of the different (narrower) mount. Didn't the first few 56's have 55 seats because of supplier issues. Maybe that's why there was a couple of heaters but later dropped when 56 frames used.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 11:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, I don't believe that is correct, though the Caribbeans were in fact delayed because of the seat issue and apparently it proved to be too much handwork to fit the underseat heater, thus they were not installed although allegedly standard equipment. According to an analysis of the build slips, the 3 cars that had the underseat heaters were not early cars, they were #s 1096, 1119, and 1230. It would be interesting to examine one of these and see just how the heater was fitted because looking at my own Caribbean convertible, it wouldn't fit w/o alterations to the floorpan.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 19:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're probably right. I don't recall where exactly I read about the seats but do remember some 56 brochures showing a different seat. Do know I tried to install the heater in my HT when everything was apart and could not do it without as you said, significantly altering the floor. The seat mount comes down in middle of the only low flat spot there is where heater can go.

Posted on: 2008/9/14 19:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved